Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Ocean Kayak Foot Peg Mod (In Progress)

I have had my Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 13 for over a year now. I have spent many hours on the water, sometimes catching fish and sometimes not. From Creeks to rivers, ponds to the second largest great lake catching panfish and salmon it has not let me down. I must say though one of my few complaints  is the foot pegs, they work smoothly, they lock solidly and I can work them without even using my hands so I can adjust them while paddling or reeling. 
Photo borrowed from the internet
What sucks about them is they are skinny, after half a day my feet get really sore in them. Last Friday my left foot fell asleep while I was fishing, and you can't rest your foot on top of it because that hurts just as bad. 


I took it apart to see what I had to work with. 
Only 2 screws hold it together
Image borrowed from internet
I have two ideas:


1) Use PVC to make a sleeve

      A) Get PVC pipe that fits over the original peg
      B) Secure it to the peg
      C) Coat in silicone or hockey tape or both




or


2) Install bike pedals
Image borrowed from internet


   
     A) Get two right bike pedals and nuts to secure them. (left pedals are reverse thread and harder to find hardware for)
     B) Cut off Peg from assembly and sand flat
     C) Drill hole in foot rest assembly and install pedal


I am open to any ideas you might have. 


I am probably going to do the PVC option first as it does not call for any permanent modification. If I mess up it is $20 for a new Foot rest assembly, if I succeed I will have a more comfortable machine. 
Let me know what you think in comments, I have not found any one on the internet who has modified their foot pedals like this. 
Thanks for reading. 


Update: 10MAR2012 http://theimpracticalfishermen.blogspot.com/2012/03/ocean-kayak-foot-peg-mod-ii.html

9 comments:

  1. I like both ideas. The PVC is good because, as you mentioned already, it isn't permanent. Another upside is that it's cheap. The downside is that PVC tends to get brittle from the sun and temperature fluctuations, but at a few bucks a pop, who cares.

    The pedal option is good as well. Slightly more expensive, but really, some cheap pedals can be had for $10. The would offer a comfortable base for your feet and would be really cool. The down side - permanent modifications. If you don't like them - you're stuck with them

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed this as well. For the time being I just adjusted them so that my feet were not resting too hard on the pegs. I like the pvc idea however; I think the problem stems from the pegs having such a small contact area on the bottom of the foot. The pvc, while better will still have this small contact area because of the circular shape. I like the idea of developing a pedal type foot rest because the greater contact area will make this problem a non-issue. As BFA stated though, this would involve permenant mods and if they don't work you stuck with them. I may start mulling over ideas myself and will keep you posted as to what I come up with. Good luck!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another option is using a Hobie Mirage Drive pedal, I can hide the hardware pretty well with that. This is where I could use a proper workshop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah yes. I have this problem all to often...Though it usually doesn't start to hurt until I'm about 5+ hours into the trip.

    The bike pedal might work. But since I've never spent more than 30 minutes on a bike, I wouldn't really know.

    Is there any modification that you can do to the already existing pedal? It looks like there's a lip in the kayak directly underneath it. If that's the case, then there isn't really any room to extend the pedal downward. Maybe you could secure something on top of the pedal to give you more surface area?

    But then you run the risk of changing leg positions and possibly wrenching your back more...

    Sorry I'm not much help haha. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think the foot rotating slightly would change the legs position, the ankle is designed to do it. If you sit on one of those reclining exercise bikes you'll see what I mean. I found some cheap rubber PVC pipe couplings I am going to try. I also have an aluminum camera mount in the works.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A few thoughts:
    1) If you cut off the peg and sand smooth, make sure you countersink the screw holes to avoid interference in the adjustment mechanism on the back side.
    2) Bike pedals have pointy nubs on them...I often kayak barefoot and those would have to be sanded down too.
    3a) I'm not sure the PVC will solve your problem. Think about materials that increase surface area and you could attach to the existing peg with screws or clamps. Little round pieces of plywood come to mind but would look cheap. If you're comfortable with metal work,
    3b) I think aluminum sheets can be purchased at home stores
    4) Have you tried just removing the pegs? I usually don't use mine unless I'm really digging in with the paddles...which isn't that often on a leisurely fishing trip.
    5) My Native Manta Ray yak has very large plastic pedals...perhaps you could find someplace selling those and jimmy-rig a way to attach them on your pegs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. On the Ocean Kayak the adjustment mechanism is on the front of the peg assembly, I was planning of sanding down the bike pedals. The Native pegs just doesn't seem they would fit well.

    As far as removing the pegs, I really like them. It helps me feel planted in the kayak and get the most out of my strokes only problem is my feet suffer from them being so small.

    I bought some 1 1/2 to 2 inch rubber PVC connectors, they fit well i just need to see if it will be a good enough solution.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think. All spam will be deleted. Google account users don't need Capcha verifications anymore so tell me what you think.
If you are interested in writing a guest post, or want me to write a guest post on your blog or website contact me at impracticalfishermen@gmail.com