Saturday, January 7, 2012

Crock-pot German Rouladen

Image borrowed from the internet
I haven't been doing much fishing in the last few days but I have been cooking. So I figured I would share my Mother's recipe for Rouladen. Basically Rouladen is a cheap piece of beef, topside or silver side rolled with mustard, bacon, pickles or what not and braised to make the meat tender. It is peasant food at it's finest, add some potato  dumplings or  Spätzle  as a starch to soak up the gravy and some veggies to help it go down. My version only has bacon where others have pickles, minced meat, sausage, pine nuts or cheese in the middle. It does not take long to prepare aside from the cooking time it took me much longer to edit/post the photos and put this together. 

Cheap thin cut beef and bacon
I started  with a thin cut beef, venison would also work if you have it handy. The bacon I got was kind of crappy but after all cooking it was hard to tell. 
Fat removed and pounded. 
 If the steaks are cut against the grain of the meat no pounding in necessarily, since the steaks looked a little thick to me and the grain ran crosswise I pounded them flat with a rolling pin after removing the fat.
With Bacon and Course Grain Mustard
 After flattening I added a slice of bacon cut in two, some course grain mustard and some fresh milled pepper.  Some of the steaks were skinnier and longer so I laid the beacon straight down the middle.
Tooth picked shut
 I then rolled the steaks up tight and tooth picked them to keep them shut. You can tie them if you like but it seems like a little too much hassle to me.
Sizzling in the pan
 I heated up Extra Virgin Olive Oil in my cast iron skillet searing 4-5 at a time. Rotating them and aiming for a deep brown color and a lot of caramelization to add flavor to the dish.
These are about done 
 Once you are done with the first batch add the second batch. I like to give the Rouladen a jiggle when I am turning them to help keep them from sticking to the pan.
Pile of delicious Rouladen
Once the meat is done I chopped a whole sweet onion and fried it in the same pan and oil as the meat.
Nothing like the smell of frying onions
 I like to follow Chef Gordon Ramsey's cooking rule of "If it is brown it is delicious, if it is Black it's F#$%#d" when cooking most things but it really applies to the sweet onions as they can get bitter when burnt.
Just right
Once the onions are done it is time to turn to the crock pot. I have a large newer digital crock pot with only 3 settings 5 hours at low is about right for this dish. I used two of these boxes of cooking stock and could have gotten away with one though. I never minded having extra gravy though. 
The liquid for the braze
 I put the stock in the stock pot with the onions and let it heat up before adding the Rouladen.
Broth, onions and the onion's cooking oil
 After I added the Rouladen I added a palm full of dried Parsley, some pepper and some Red Pepper
 After the crock pot did it's thing for about 4 hours I mixed a cup of melted butter and a cup of flour to make a thickener for the gravy, since I used so much stock I ended up using the whole thing.
Melted butter and Flour
 After another hour the meat was tender and ready to go. I decided to use German Egg noodles to soak up the gravy and some steamed Brussels Sprouts to add some greenery to the meal.
These noodles rock, and they are great in Chicken Noodle Soup  too
 Look at the meaty gravy covered goodness, the smells take me back to my child hood. There is nothing like some good slow cooked meat, this is comfort food at it's finest.
Watch out for toothpicks
 Hope you try it out for your self, if you do let me know how it was.
Thanks for reading.
Dan

8 comments:

  1. Dan
    I can smell that food from here ---awesome looking food not to mention how all it taste. Thanks for comment

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my crockpot! And, will have to try this recipe out...looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, it was just as good for dinner today as leftovers. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks awesome! We will be firing up the crock pot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks extremely tasty! Thanks for sharing, but now my stomach tells me I am hungry.lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. pre cook bacon,thin not thick,cut in half, 2 halfs for each, resverve bacon fat to brown rouladen.guldens mustard be generous,peppergrinder for the pepper,several pieces of uncooked onion at one end and start rolling from that end. Roll them as tight as you can.secure with extra long toothpicks.only brown in skillet,litely sprinkle with worschester and low sodium soy, put in oven for 45min 325 covered.beef and chicken broth to skillet, 1 tsp of dry mustard, several cans of FAT FREE beef gravy.blend and add rouladens.simmer and serve. We make extra gravy for stroganoff. just add sour cream to your gravy and bamb, done.Baking ensures bacon is cooked thru and is not gummy, allow to marry in the oven. Wegmans is the best place to purchase the meat, vacum sealed cutlets, 4 to a pack and cut them in have, perfect size.They carry the extra long toothpicks too.Fat free gravy cuts the bacon grease so you don't get indigestion. Parsley to taste. We don't do pickle, a few with carots for family that doesn't like onion.No salt, it will be salty enough. I had to add some extra low sodium chicken broth to cut the salt right before serving. May need to thicken with wondra flour if sauce looks too loose. I didn't. Best made the day before but who wants to wait. mashed potatoes are the best with these. Compliments of Oma Winger,military wife. we lived in Germany for 4 years and she brought this home from the locals.share the love, pay it forward.Happy holidays. From her polish daughter who now makes the rouladen each christmas in her honor.The trick to this meal is my mothers favorite saying. Mother of 7 children." Many hands make light work. " Susie Yasalonis from Pennsylvania.

    ReplyDelete
  7. pre cook bacon,thin not thick,cut in half, 2 halfs for each, resverve bacon fat to brown rouladen.guldens mustard be generous,peppergrinder for the pepper,several pieces of uncooked onion at one end and start rolling from that end. Roll them as tight as you can.secure with extra long toothpicks.only brown in skillet,litely sprinkle with worschester and low sodium soy, put in oven for 45min 325 covered.beef and chicken broth to skillet, 1 tsp of dry mustard, several cans of FAT FREE beef gravy.blend and add rouladens.simmer and serve. We make extra gravy for stroganoff. just add sour cream to your gravy and bamb, done.Baking ensures bacon is cooked thru and is not gummy, allow to marry in the oven. Wegmans is the best place to purchase the meat, vacum sealed cutlets, 4 to a pack and cut them in have, perfect size.They carry the extra long toothpicks too.Fat free gravy cuts the bacon grease so you don't get indigestion. Parsley to taste. We don't do pickle, a few with carots for family that doesn't like onion.No salt, it will be salty enough. I had to add some extra low sodium chicken broth to cut the salt right before serving. May need to thicken with wondra flour if sauce looks too loose. I didn't. Best made the day before but who wants to wait. mashed potatoes are the best with these. Compliments of Oma Winger,military wife. we lived in Germany for 4 years and she brought this home from the locals.share the love, pay it forward.Happy holidays. From her polish daughter who now makes the rouladen each christmas in her honor.The trick to this meal is my mothers favorite saying. Mother of 7 children." Many hands make light work. " Susie Yasalonis from Pennsylvania.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many variations of Rouladen. The bacon is rarely pre-cooked when made the traditional way - the idea here is that the fat from the bacon cooks through the beef, and you're left with a much more flavourful batch of Rouladen and gravy. Onion within the roll is most typical, but of course, each Roulade can be prepared in any manner you wish. In Germany, there is not one particular "right" combination of Roulade stuffing... You'd find that people make it according to their preference/family tradition. I grew up on Rouladen stuffed with bacon and onions. Visiting my aunt, I was served with Rouladen stuffed with bacon, onion, pickles and mustard. You'll also find that by simply searing the beef so that it becomes quite dark and covering them with just water (not broth, no added veggies), adding some onion, garlic, salt & pepper, you'll end up with an exceptionally rich and flavourful gravy (thanks largely to the uncooked bacon within the Rouladen). Any way you decide to make it, it's friggen good... But there really are no rules. You just make it the way you like it!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think. All spam will be deleted. Google account users don't need Capcha verifications anymore so tell me what you think.
If you are interested in writing a guest post, or want me to write a guest post on your blog or website contact me at impracticalfishermen@gmail.com