Friday, January 13, 2012

King River Bass'n

Cookie Cutter LMB

Hit up the King river again hoping for a bass bigger than 5 pounds, I did not hook up with any. I did get around 10 fish all between 12 and 15 inches. The King river dropped from where it was on Sunday by about a full foot, it also felt cooler then it had and the visibility was at about 6 to 8 inches instead of the 3 on my previous trip. Most of the structure I was able to fish not too long ago was exposed to the air. 
The pattern that was producing best for me was fishing a weed line in 7 feet of water about 10 to 20 feet of the shore, I did best slowly moving my Mr Ugly jig along it and repeatedly pulled up cookie cutter light green pattern-less cookie cutter bass. The slightly larger and smaller fish came closer to the shore near the drop off where the water gets deep quick. I figured I would play around with he camera and see what angles I could get  so I would have the best one when the big one bites. I would rather be ready so I can snap a quick picture and let the fish go healthy than keep it out of the water for too long.
At least my fist is in focus, the camera was quicker than I was
One thing I wish I could change about my Olympus Tough TG-310 is I wish I could set it to take timed shots and not have to re-select it every time if I don't get the shot I want.
Scary smile

Small one but a fatty

One of my  favorite shots of the day
The off center shots look the best but it is easy to get the camera angle wrong or tilted the wrong way.
Another cookie cutter

I try to keep the fish in the water when I am setting the camera and try to only keep them out for around 30 seconds at a time. Below are 3 shots of the same fish, I was in the shade and used Photoshop to adjust the colors. The first 2 are without a flash and the last one is with one.


I was holding the rod of the camera mount to keep it from bouncing. 

My favorite of the 3, crooked but not as bad as #3

Too much glare on my specs from the flash and the Bass looks evil

Thanks for reading.
Dan

To learn how to build your own Kayak Camera mount Click the link below.
http://theimpracticalfishermen.blogspot.com/2011/12/diy-swinging-kayak-camera-mount.html 

4 comments:

  1. Looks like a great day of fishing. I too like the 2nd of those last three the best.

    I -just- got my Greenfish camera mount for the yak, so now I just need to take the yak out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see what you do with your new camera mount. I wish I was closer to the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome looking places where you are landing those largemouth, the grub strikes again.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think. All spam will be deleted. Google account users don't need Capcha verifications anymore so tell me what you think.
If you are interested in writing a guest post, or want me to write a guest post on your blog or website contact me at impracticalfishermen@gmail.com