Monday, January 23, 2012

Making a Custom Plastic Bait: Part 1.

   I have been interested in pouring my own plastic baits for a while now. I get a lot of ideas ans making my own is the easiest way to see what these crazy ideas that pop up in my head can do. I have been fishing a lot of crayfish imitations lately and I Figure I can make a positive and cast it in RTV to make a negative and hand pour it. I want it to be a meaty bait and simple enough to be able to remove from the mold without much trouble. I also want to add a slot for the hook for better penetration and nubs to help the claws/legs flutter differently. I figure if the legs and nubs don't work out I can remove them easy enough. 

The Plan
 I plan on going to the craft store tomorrow and pick up some clay to make my blank.

Thanks for reading, let me know in comments what you think.

See Part 2 here: http://theimpracticalfishermen.blogspot.com/2012/01/making-custom-plastic-bait-part-2.html

6 comments:

  1. There's really no reason to single out the above grubs. Most all manufacturers make grubs and they're all good. Most of the tips and tactics below can be applied to most any brand of grub. So although a brand or model is mentioned, how to use all grubs is generic.
    Chk Out : www.powerteamlures.com for more

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian, The reason I have singled them out is the color and extra body parts they have. You are right in how the methods can be used with most any brand grub or creature bait. Most likely a case of a lure catching a fishermen instead of a fish. I have come to the conclusion that most fishing practices are generic and can be applied based on conditions and tweaked to accommodate the size of fish I am after. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got a lure making kit this christmas from http://www.makelure.com/.

    I've only made hard plastics, but the process is still the same for soft plastics. It's a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daniel
    That is one killer looking soft bait. Excellent for fall and winter. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool blog! I've never seen anyone try this before. Looking forward to seeing how this works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the complements, I was going to bring them out today and see if they get bit, but forgot.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think. All spam will be deleted. Google account users don't need Capcha verifications anymore so tell me what you think.
If you are interested in writing a guest post, or want me to write a guest post on your blog or website contact me at impracticalfishermen@gmail.com