Thursday, January 5, 2012

Smoked Bacon Wrapped Venison Roast

Look at that smokey savory goodness
Venison is an amazing meat that can be savory and delicious or tough and gamy. Last year I was given a deer by a member of a fishing forum I am a member of. I wish I would have cut more roasts of it instead of grinding most of it for sausage because this roast was delicious. You can tell by the cut that I am no butcher.

Here is what I used for the marinade
-24oz cheap beer (PBR or Old Style I don't remember)
-Apple Cider Vinegar
-Kosher Salt
-One Large White Onion
-Pepper
-Dried Prig Hang Chilies
- Worcestershire  Sauce

I let it soak turning it often for two days. It made the fridge smell pretty good. If I had a food saver at the time I would have used that but a three gallon freezer bag in a bowl worked well. 

Soaking in the marinade
After the two days I pulled it out and let it come up to room temp patting it dry to help get it ready for smoking. I loaded my smoker with a mix of Hickory and  Mesquite chips that were soaked for 15 minutes in water. I have an electric smoker and like to start it out on high to get the chips ready for the meat. 
 
Lots of connective tissue but the smoking process takes care of a lot of it
Here is what I used for cooking the roast.
-Kosher Salt
-Pepper
-Best Thick Cut Bacon I could find
-Chipotle Chili Powder (Be careful with this if people in your house are heat sensitive)
-Random Dried Herbs (I have a mix I received as a gift that is good on everything)
-Tooth picks
-Melted Butter

I coated the dried roast with a simple rub consisting of salt, pepper, and a dash of chipotle chili powder before wrapping the roast in bacon. I started in the middle with two strips and worked out ward using tooth picks to hold everything together. 
 
All wrapped up in Beacon and looking a little like Hell Raiser

I sprinkled the top with pepper, chipotle chili powder, and my herb mix letting it rest a half hour before putting it into the smoker. I took out as many tooth picks as I could once it was on the rack. 
 
Ready to get cooking
After that I just made sure the temp stayed around 190f and brushed it with butter when the beacon looked dry. I aimed for a medium-medium well temp in the center 140-155f. It took about four hours to get there. 
 
Oh Yeah
Boy was it worth the wait. I thought smoking the bacon would ruin it somehow, make it too smoky but it was just plain delicious. It also looks amazing, do this for a super bowl party or family get together and people are going to be talking about it for a while.

The bacon was super smokey and delicious
I let it rest before cutting into it, went well with a warm German Potato Salad and cold orzo pasta salad. I sliced the roast thin and chopped the beacon to go on the side. As good as it was the first time slicing the leftover strips and frying them with the beacon made for amazing leftovers. It was better the second time around. 
All Plated up
Thanks for reading,

Dan

If you have a piece of backstrap and some leftover bacon you could try this: http://www.theimpracticalfishermen.com/2014/01/how-to-cook-bacon-wrapped-venison.html

14 comments:

  1. Wow! That looks amazing! I never have the patience to basket weave the bacon, it sure does look good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is easier and quicker than you think, the bacon sticks to its self like glue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy $%&@ that looks awesome! I bet the bacon really makes up for the lack of fat in the venison.. Awesome post man- I'll have to score some more venison from my hunting friends....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daniel
    Awesome looking meats, not mention how good it taste. Healthy eating if you have a little bacon. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got 2 roasts in the freezer. I may have to try some variation on this. Not sure I have the smoker capabilities, but will think of something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It should be fine in the oven low and slow. Spices are just what I did. If I were to do it again I would have butterflied it and stuffed it with something. I also would have aimed for a lower cooked temp and gone medium rare.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey man, I'm doing it soon, just like this. I cook and smoke quite a bit and I see absolutely nothing wrong with this recipe...Wonderful. Sorry I didn't think of it. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy it. :D
      The leftovers are amazing, chop the bacon and slice the roast real thin and heat in a frying pan. I think it tastes better than the first time around.

      Delete
  8. thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and replying.

      Delete
  9. What amounts did you use of the ingredients for the marinade?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I knew I would tell ya. Make it slightly salty and acidic and you'll do fine.

      Delete
  10. The fit and finish of the best electric smoker are very good and well designed. The smoker also features a lid that has an oven-like seal with flip latch and this products are very well insulated.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think. All spam will be deleted. Google account users don't need Capcha verifications anymore so tell me what you think.
If you are interested in writing a guest post, or want me to write a guest post on your blog or website contact me at impracticalfishermen@gmail.com