Saturday, March 3, 2012

Fishing Dreams Crushed

I love using Google Earth as a way to find new fishing spots. Back in Illinois I would narrow down stretches of river that look particularly fishy. Zooming around the map like I have my own personal helicopter pilot at my disposal. Finding feeder creeks and hidden ponds along rivers, some ended up being duds but most turned up to be pretty good little spots. I am a pretty fair weather angler, i also like to find places to fish that are close to home. If I have to drive 2 hours to a spot that takes 4 hours off my day. I would rather learn a spot close to me than drive hours for bigger or more fish.

Since moving to the Central Valley I have been looking for these spots. The closest thing I have found is the King River, I really can't complain about it. I have never caught less than 2 fish there in an outing and it is only 20 minutes away from my house. Still as much as I love fishing the river I wanted to find a small lake or pond, a local park where I could walk the shores after work until the sun goes down. Back in Illinois I had many of these 45 minute trips, Pitching and flipping the banks. I wanted to find something like that, where I didn't have to bring the canoe or kayak, where I could just fish for a few minutes and unwind for the day.

One spot that kept catching my eye was called Hidden Valley park, the name was promising. I came across it several times and have been excited to try it out, from the pictures I could see a small creek fed pond with a red bridge straddling it. Internet searches led me to articles about sunfish and catfish stockings for children's fishing derbies. Very promising, I was excited. I decided to grab my rod and check it out the other day and this is what I found...
The water was about 6 inches deep, muddy and filled with trash. To get there I walked past a few homeless men sleeping in a gazebo and on benches in the park, just across the bridge children played on swings and the large play set. One girl was seeking Easter eggs her mother had hidden, I always thought such hunts would be good for other holidays.

It is disappointing that the pond is in the shape it is in, I was expecting so much more. Then again it is the desert, I should have expected as much. My little stretch of river is looking pretty good if you ask me.
Thanks for reading,
Dan

9 comments:

  1. That sucks. I have a small lake by my neighborhood that was pretty much one of the reasons I wanted to move here. It was filled with catfish and decent bass. A year or so ago I went there and the lake had been drained. I don't know if has been stocked since but it hasn't fished well at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's even worse, too bad. Hopefully they stocked it well and it comes back Kevin. Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  2. time to expand your search radius?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully the action starts heating up on the reservoirs, we'll see.

      Delete
  3. Nice looking stream, easy casting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think I saw a 2lb condom swimming around, that would put up a good fight on an ultralight. :D

      Delete
  4. Like your approach to fishing close to home. Price of gas pretty much makes that an essential for most of us I think. Keep working on it, you will find some "local" waters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That’s sad. Hope you’ll finally find a place there where you “could just fish for a few minutes and unwind for the day.”

    ReplyDelete
  6. I live near Hidden Valley Park and the bridge area used to have some good fishing in it a longg time ago. but now i been fishing in the pond area and ive got a few good bite out there but nothing to big, just a few small ones. They say theres a 9 pound catfish in there but as far as i know its never been seen.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think. All spam will be deleted. Google account users don't need Capcha verifications anymore so tell me what you think.
If you are interested in writing a guest post, or want me to write a guest post on your blog or website contact me at impracticalfishermen@gmail.com