Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Great Night Out on the Kings

Hit the river around 3:30, a bright sunny day with a slight breeze that was not enough to keep me from sweating. The water was pretty muddy and almost a foot higher than the last time I was out on the river. I had the worms I poured this morning, The grubs I always use and some Stank X grubs in Salt N Peppa I wanted to try out. Monday is my favorite day to go fishing, less people out and the ones I do run into seem to have more respect for other anglers than the weekend crowd.
Lost a few fish in my usual spots as I started plucking down the shore, the risen water changes how the fish use small amount of cover the river has.
 The first guy was a scrappy average sized fish, he looked pretty healthy.

 I caught 3 or 4 more smaller bass and lost 2 or 3 before hooking this guy, he had some kind of worm growing out of him. One was actually sticking out of a sore on his belly. I let it go with out toughing any of them...
 I worked my way past where I usually go, the best spots seemed to be rock/gravel areas next to trees or grass on the shelf next to the drop off into the main channel.
 I kept working down the shore looking for that pattern, I had a spot I lost 3 in a row. I would cast into the reeds and my line would swim at me before I could react, I decided to really swing on the next, I hooked this guy and sent him over my kayak. When I unhooked him I noticed his mouth was full of 3 inch long crayfish, just like my jig.
 The sun went down as I got to the weir, I saw a ton of little fish feeding on the surface but nothing would take my buzz bait or popper. I fished them more because I wanted the fish to hit top water but they were not playing fair. I caught 3 more small guys as the sun set and it went dark. I headed back casting at only the best spots. I cast towards a reed bed and never felt it hit the bottom. After 4 good runs this beauty was in my kayak.

 Weighed in at 6.86lbs on the Rapala digital scale, I could not believe my luck. This is the biggest bass I have ever caught, a few years ago I caught one close but this is by far the biggest.
 Got a few photos
 And let her go. It was getting cold, I did not bring a jacket and was a little lost. It took a while to get through the maze that is the river over here and get everything loaded in the truck. I had a great night out before the big girl, she just topped it off. 

Thanks for reading
Dan

15 comments:

  1. That last one is a Slaunch! Good trip man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, Dan!!!! Sounds like you are getting a hang for this California fishing thing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That or I'm just getting lucky. :D

      Delete
  3. Don't get much opportunity to fish for Bass like that in Eastern Idaho, but, I know a good one when I see one. Congratulations on your personal best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rainbow trout are in my sights as well. There are many places to catch them here I have yet to do so. Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  4. Dude, that last bass was a nice one! were you using crawdads for that one as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3 inch grub on a 1/16oz jig head.

      Delete
  5. Daniel
    Glad someone is catching awesome bass. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured it would be fishing weather in Alabama now.

      Delete
  6. Awesome fish! That is a pig and a great day overall....congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That fish was a good way to end the day. Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what you call a kicker! Great job on fishing up to the last minute! It looks like you have some hogs up your way too!

      Delete
  8. Dan, I fish that river about 3-5 times a week. That place is the best kept secret in the valley, there are monsters in that river. Maybe one day I will run into you out there, good catch.

    Dustin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been on the Kings since before the water dropped. I juat hope the bass are still in my section.

      Delete

Tell me what you think. All spam will be deleted. Google account users don't need Capcha verifications anymore so tell me what you think.
If you are interested in writing a guest post, or want me to write a guest post on your blog or website contact me at impracticalfishermen@gmail.com