Monday, March 12, 2012

King River Report

I wanted to get out for some evening/night fishing and get out closer to where I wanted to fish so I had to find a new spot to put in. I drove past my usual spot and turned onto a dirt ranch road and soon found the river on my right. As i was driving i spotted someone in a yellow kayak headed the way I was driving towards where I wanted to put it. I drove to the weir, the banks were really steep and the two spots that seemed to have decent access had people standing there. I turned around and found a spot I could slip down. I knew I would launching this way so my gear was all together and it took no time to get ready.

I want to see someone launch a bass boat here :D
 I figured I should fan cast a little before I launch and stir up the whole area. I grabbed my Abu Garcia reel with the Warrior Buzzbait and let it rip, I buzzed it past a clump of reeds and a Bass blew up at it. I went to set the hook and the line gave, my drag was set way loose. I reeled the slack and tried to thumb to spool to set fish and it was gone.A real bummer but I was excited I got a topwater hit finally, I knew the past 3 warm days would open them up to more aggressive feeding. I cast the buzzbait a few more times with no luck. So I grabbed my other setup and threw a jig at the clump I missed that last fish and hooked a feisty little guy.
Not huge but a healthy fish
 I launched and set off towards the other kayaker, working the shore. The water was about 6 inches lower than the last trip and surprisingly clear in the sheltered areas. The wind was pretty steady out of the north blowing me into the rocky bank. I kept switching between the jig and buzzbait hoping to get some topwater action. But it was just not happening. I picked up a few more fish, one the same size as the first and this guy who was a little larger and scrappier.
This guy hammered the jig
 I met up with the other kayaker it turned out to be Cccoyote from Central Coast Kayak Fishing, he sent me a PM saying he would be out but I didn't get it. He had a Ocean Kayak Tetra Ultra Pro 4.3 I couldn't help but drool over. We talked fishing, it was nice to fish with another angler. I caught a few more on the jig and gave him one to use. i had one that hit like a Mack truck and stole my grub and had another that missed my buzzbait. The sun started to set and Cccoyote had to get back so we parted ways. I turned back towards the weir and picked up a few more on the jig.  
Sunset Bass

King river purple sunset
 I fished an hour or so after dark only caught 2, I tried to get a picture of myself with one but I just couldn't seem to keep my eyes open, so I let the poor guy go on his way.
Eyes closed 
 I decided to turn in, I got back to my launching site and realized it was not as good as I thought it was. There were little thorny seed things all over the ground, I didn't realize this until I went to pull my self up the bank and my hands were covered in them. My neighbor said they are called "Goat Heads" I think Satan Berries is a more appropriate term. Even my tires were coated in them. To top that off there were a few dozen large Wolf spiders running around and one managed to bite me on the inside of the wrist. It is dangerous out there.
A "Goat Head" I pulled out of my tire, check out that sticker
Cccoyote it was nice meeting you I hope we get to fish again.
Thanks for reading
Dan

7 comments:

  1. I was pretty sure they were Wolf Spiders, I got bit square on inside of my wrist. I called my wife and had her Google Brown Recluse Bites because I wasn't sure. I am lucky it was a Wolf Spider.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh goat heads. I was introduced to them when I moved to New Mexico. Golly I hate those things.

    Looks like a gorgeous evening on the water!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are mean, my dogs have stepped in them a few times. They don't like them either.

      Delete
  3. Daniel
    Those are some nice bass with the grubs. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post! Enjoyed reading it Dan.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think. All spam will be deleted. Google account users don't need Capcha verifications anymore so tell me what you think.
If you are interested in writing a guest post, or want me to write a guest post on your blog or website contact me at impracticalfishermen@gmail.com