Saturday, March 10, 2012

Ocean Kayak Foot Peg Mod II

My Ocean Kayak Trident 13 is one of the best things I have ever bought, I spend hours at a time floating in rivers and lakes fishing in it. One of the few complaints I have had is after an hour or so my feet go numb resting on the foot pegs. I have talked to several Trident owners and a few told me they have the same problem, I wanted to fix it by modifying the pegs but could not decide on how to do it.

I wrote a blog about it here.
http://theimpracticalfishermen.blogspot.com/2011/12/ocean-kayak-foot-peg-mod-in-progress.html

I tried using a pair of spare bicycle bicycle pedals but could not find a reverse thread nut and trying to drill through it was pointless. Drilling and modifying plastic has never really worked for me, it gets brittle and breaks so I gave it a rest for a while.

Then I saw this video on YouTube by "Kayak" Kevin Whitney
I figured if it is good enough for a guy that has kayaked round the entire Chesapeake Bay it was good enough for me. I ordered a set of Wilderness System foot pegs for their compact size and installed them under my stock foot pegs.

It is not pretty but I can tell you it feels pretty good, the lower peg sits just a little closer than the top peg. It is stable and a more natural foot position for sitting. I installed them using the Stainless Steel hardware included with them 4 1/4 20 screws with neoprene backed washers and squirted a little Marine GOOP just to seal the deal.

Should be going out for some night fishing tonight so we'll see how it goes.
Thanks for reading,
Dan

8 comments:

  1. Dan
    Very unique concept here, I am waiting for a report.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool Modification that you did there Dan. Let us know how it works for you.
    Also if you get a chance post this on the CCKF site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can do Ryan, I am going out tonight so I ca report more on how it works. I might even make a short video on my rigging.

      Delete
  3. you sure are handy... making plastics, mod the kayak, what else you got in store in the DYI realm?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knows, I just can't seem to leave things alone. :D

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry Mr. Smith, but no spam please.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Ocean Kayak Trident 13 is one of the best things I have ever bought, I spend hours at a time floating in rivers and lakes fishing in it. One of ... ioceankayak.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think. All spam will be deleted. Google account users don't need Capcha verifications anymore so tell me what you think.
If you are interested in writing a guest post, or want me to write a guest post on your blog or website contact me at impracticalfishermen@gmail.com