Friday, March 23, 2012

Skunked on Putah Creek

My wife had some business up at Travis Air force Base Monday afternoon, we were staying the night so she thought it would be a good idea for us to find a spot to fish. I did some research and found a promising stretch of water that could lead to me finally getting some California trout. Stocker trout are not hard to catch, kids do it on Snoopy and bobbers but for some reason I just can not get my hands on one. Using Google I identified the bodies of water near Travis AFB, then I Googled the names of the lakes to come up with intel. So many places, just none that looked fishy enough. I am sure there are several hundred local honey holes an hours drive from base but finding them on the internet is a difficult task. My search lead north to Lake Berryessa, spilling out the bottom was Putah creek (best creek name ever). It is it'self dammed to form Lake Solano off which is camping spots and some very fishy looking areas. I packed light spinning gear, inline spinners and my 5wt.

I got the skunk, saw several fish jumping and rising but connected with none. I didn't bring waders and my fly casting is so bad I gave up after loosing my Elk Hair Caddis to a pine tree. I didn't take any pictures, my wife on the other hand took a ton with her Nikon D-3100 and here they are.

Kayaker launching into lake Salano  
Attempting to side cast 
The camp ground on Lake Salano has a bunch of peacocks

The views were great

The water just kept getting clearer  as we headed up stream
Lots of cool little rapids

The female has only one leg, she still seems to be able to get around alright 

Beautiful country

didn't spot one fish out side the lake though

My wife thought she found me a free lure, turned out to be a big 'ol Slug

Just on the other side is Napa Valley
When we got back to our hotel room we were pretty tired from all the hiking and driving. I asked my wife to itch my back and she found a deer tick with it's head buried in my back. Didn't see any more until the car ride home when a Dog tick walked across her lap. Then that night I found one walking across my side as I was going to sleep. If your going out use bug spray and let someone check you for ticks.

I hope to break my Trout dry spell soon, I could go for some smoked trout about now.
Thanks for reading
Dan

15 comments:

  1. the effort your putting in will certainly pay off... soon

    nice country you got there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Blake. It is beautiful and looks fishy, I am hoping I will get into some trout soon.

      Delete
  2. Fly fishing lakes seems pretty tough unless you have the time and tools to really work the entire thing. Doing it from shore - forget about it; it's much faster and more efficient to use the spinning gear for that.

    Your wife's pictures are fantastic, by the way!!! I love her keen eye for free lures...or slugs. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The banks were really steep, my lack of casting skills didn't help he cause much either.

      Delete
  3. Those streams are awesome, the still water in places should produce some mega hits and then the rapids are an added plus. These are the kinds of streams I really like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They look super fishy, just couldn't manage to pull any out.

      Delete
  4. Totally forgot to mention - I was thinking how funny/cool the creek name was before I even clicked on the link. I laughed when you mentioned that in the first couple of lines! HAHA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Putah is a said to be a native American word for Grassy banks not to be confused with the slang word Puta. :)

      Delete
  5. Oh man, you were in my neck of the woods! I've only fished Berryessa a couple of times, mostly go there to swim. I will try it this summer though. I've heard great things about solano, Heard there are some big browns and rainbows, but as soon as i heard you can't keep the trout that you catch there, I decided to forget about it! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might have to camp there and try my luck, where does it way you can't keep trout out of the lake? I Saw a few sites on the internet about people limiting out, one was the campsite website.
      Thanks for reading and commenting J.

      Delete
  6. Though the skunk was out, Daniel, anytime you can conclude a trip with the beautiful pictures your wife took then it is always worthwhile. Good reminders on the Ticks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You speak the truth, I picked out a few of the best to share but there are many more. I have focused on making my trips more memorable and it has really payed off.

      Delete
  7. Looks like a great place to hang out! Sorry about the skunk

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just saw your comment. The DFG website states: "(147) Putah Creek (Solano and Yolo cos.) from Solano Lake to Monticello Dam. All year. Only artificial lures and barbless hooks may be used. Daily Bag and Possession Limit - 0

    http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/FreshFish-Mar2012/ccr-t14-ch3-art3.html

    I know, it's a bummer.seems like you can keep fish you catch after lake solano, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up, I am not one for poaching. It would seem as though the creek after the dam is fair game, doesn't look as promising though.

      Delete

Tell me what you think. All spam will be deleted. Google account users don't need Capcha verifications anymore so tell me what you think.
If you are interested in writing a guest post, or want me to write a guest post on your blog or website contact me at impracticalfishermen@gmail.com