Saturday, April 28, 2012

7 Pounder on the Kings River

I took a long overdue trip out on the King river today, I invited my buddy Jim and his son James out with me. I loaded my canoe and the kayak in the back of the pick up truck and met up with them at 7am.
The two fit better than I thought
 I got there first and started unloading, for those who don't know cows out number people, I heard 3 to 1 but you can never trust hearsay like that.

I named this guy Burger
 I could not wait to try out my new StankX Heros, the color looked amazing. They were a little bigger than I thought they would be but I figured that would just mean I had a chance at some bigger fish.

First Bass caught on a hero
 it did not take too long to get a strike, I cast just over a branch and had a topwater hit when I pulled it over. I missed that fish but it was a good sign, a few casts later I got my first one.
Smaller bass caught on a Hero
 I kept working it slowly along the bottom, we talked to a couple of guys in a bass boat that said they got one on a white spinnerbait but nothing else. I switched to a 1/4oz black flipping jig and caught a little guy off a boat ramp.
4 Pound LMB
 I kept working the shore, I saw the line shoot towards deeper water and set the hook. This fish was a little nicer and weighed in a little over 4lbs. I knew I was on to something, the lighter jig with a shortened Hero was the key.

Average King River Largemouth Bass
I missed 2 and caught my 4th, 5th and 6th fish on the same Hero, I had to flip it upside down and rehook it but it was still working I got Jim and James rigged up with jigs, they had a few hits but could not get the fish to the boat. I got to say I could not ask fro better fishing partners, they were happy to get any action, I hope next trip does them better in the fish department. 
Jim and his son James paddling in the Kings River
 I couldn't ask for anything more, I was out with 2 great people, I caught 6 decent fish in a few hours and I had some great pictures. I felt great, I wanted my guests to catch something though. I slowed down and kept working an area that is hot and cold at times right off another boat ramp, I cast to the left hand corner and felt a massive strike. I reeled down and my kayak started moving quick. He shot to the left of me 10 feet and swam under my boat pulling drag, the nose of my kayak crashed into shore. I turned him around again and saw the jig was hooked in her tounge at the back of her mouth and lipped her. It was over. I held the fish under water while I let myself calm down. My heart was beating fast, I held the fish up for my friends, the guy on shore and the two guys in the bass boat that somehow creeped up behind me.
7lb Largemouth Bass
 I took a few shots and let her go, she splashed some water in my face and seemed no worse for the wear. I got 2 more bites after that, blew the hook set both times but that didn't matter. I wanted to get my guests on some fish but the weather did not cooperate, the wind picked up making it hard to dead stick the jig, after a while of being blown around we gave up. We packed up and called it a day, I went home and had lunch with my wife.



Jim, James it was great getting out with you two and I can't wait to do it again.

Thanks for reading,
Dan

19 comments:

  1. Awesome. I'm still waiting for the trailer to get in for my Pro Angler. But, its like 40 any rainy here today anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really?!?!? They should upgrade you to the Pro Angler 12 for making you wait so long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dan, what was the length on that big one?
    I got one that was 22 inches out of a pond on Friday. Based on past experience, I guess it to be about 6 pounds. I never weigh fish anymore, so I have to stick with lengths and guessing.

    When I used to fish ponds out of canoes, you can't beat being towed around the pond by a fish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was this one of the hidden ponds per chance? :D

      I'm not exactly sure, I would estimate it at a hair under 24". I prefer to weight it quickly to avoid keeping it out of the water for too long. The small tape measures get lost in the clutter and the measuring boards get in the way or fall out of the kayak too much anyway. When I am not taking a photo, weighing it or removing a hook I try to keep the fish under water.

      Ken, you are 100% right on the free tow, nothing like it. Thanks for reading and commenting as always.

      Delete
  4. Awesome times! Thankx for sharing the adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for pouring some great baits, I'd buy from you anytime. :D

      Delete
  5. Danial
    Awesome catch on an awesome lure--looks like you had a fantastic trip. Big bass are a plus in the Spring time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill, going out again today. ;)

      Delete
  6. Congrats on the pigs! Also, great intuitive call to downsize your flipping bait. I saw a show a while ago that was a pro-am team tournament. Most of the field was throwing jigs that were 1/2 oz or bigger and had big trailers. The winning team blew away the rest of the field by using a mini 1/4 oz jig with a small trailer. Although I do believe big baits typically equal bigger fish, sometimes you need to downsize. Again, congrst on the fine day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Drew, goes to show it is about what the fish want and not the angler. :D

      Delete
  7. Wow! Those are some monsters! Looks like a great time on the water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great day on the water, thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  8. Nice one! Looks like you have some nice fish up your way too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Evan, they are starting to come around. :D

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  9. congrats on that pig, Dan! will only be a matter of time before you hit the 10lb mark!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think. All spam will be deleted. Google account users don't need Capcha verifications anymore so tell me what you think.
If you are interested in writing a guest post, or want me to write a guest post on your blog or website contact me at impracticalfishermen@gmail.com