Thursday, May 31, 2012

Hand Tied Halibut Jig.

I was watching my Larry Dahlburg DVD, Larry's Workshop and he made a cool looking Halibut jig for big Buts in Alaska, I figured I could make a slightly smaller one for California Halibut. here is what I came up with.
3oz Impractical Halibut Jig with a StankX Thug grub as a trailer
 I started with a 3oz plain lead jig I bought at Fishermen's Warehouse in Fresno, Ca. I tied some pink and Clear Green Flashabou using thin wire, I added some clear tinsel and wrapped it with a thicker wire using some melted left over plastic to seal it over as I just found both bottles of head cement were solid in the jar. I used some powder coat to add some color to the head of the jig and drew an eye marking using a Sharpie. I topped it off with a StankX Thug Grub in Glow in the Dark. Can't wait to throw this guy and see how it does.

What you think about it, anything you would change?

Thanks for reading,
Dan

3 comments:

  1. I fish mostly on the central coast and they are easier to catch here with bait, I haven't had much success jigging for buts.. however up in Bodega bay I have ha much success jigging something similar to what ya got here.. the setup was a white split tail trailer on a 2 or 3oz bullet head.. with a white or white and purple hoochie pulled over the top.. when wet it looks pretty similar to what you got going on there.. I am positive if you droppe that on ones head it would swallow it down.. nice work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe, hitting a charter on Saturday with my buddy. Can't wait to see how it works.

      Delete
    2. Scored one keeper and one short Ling on the jig before I lost it.

      Delete

Tell me what you think. All spam will be deleted. Google account users don't need Capcha verifications anymore so tell me what you think.
If you are interested in writing a guest post, or want me to write a guest post on your blog or website contact me at impracticalfishermen@gmail.com