Sunday, May 27, 2012

The Other White Meat...

Well to put it bluntly, fishing sucked today. I planned on doing some jig'n and frog'n for bass and staying out late for catfish. Well things did not go to plan, I was out for about an hour and the only bite I had was a good sized Bullfrog on a StankX Toad.  
Cannibalism frog
 I changed tactics and focused on Catfish. I had to rods one rigged with cheap bacon and one with dead crayfish, I was told they were both killer catfish baits. I did not hook up for about a half hour and got board. I dangled the crayfish in front of a Bullfrog and hooked him. I decided to switch things up and go fro frogs, I shined my headlamp down the bank and saw about 20 or so eyes staring at me.

California has no Bullfrog season and no bag or daily limit so I was free to harvest some legs. I slid my weight right next to the hook and swapped the crayfish for a piece of sinking minnow to give them something to hit. Sitting sidesaddle and walking the shoreline works great if you have a kayak I suggest you try it out. After set the hook and get them into the kayak I slip a knife right behind their heads and throw them in the tank well, it is pretty quick. I chose not to take or post any pictures of the cleaning or any death piles, it might make a fine picture with fish but people are a little more attached to Kermit than a fish.

Funny thing, I was creeping along the shore and set my hook in the water for a few seconds and felt a tug, i pulled this strange shell-cracker up. He was white and had almost black markings like a crappie as well as a mouth that was a lot bigger than then normal. At first I thought it was a Warmouth or rock bass, definitively a strange fish. If you have an idea about this fish let me know.
Strange Shell-cracker
 I got back to the frogs working the shore on the both banks once, ended up with 25 in the boat.
Big guy of the day
 I brought them back home and got to cleaning, the wife is out of town otherwise she might be libel to freak out, it was a fun night doing something different. I got the catch soaking in some salted water getting ready for a hot oil bath.
The bounty
I wish my kitchen was ready, I am still waiting on counter tops, plumping, paint and the major appliances to go in before I can cook. My neighbor said he likes frog legs, I'm going to go over and see if he wants to cook lunch.

Thanks for reading,
Dan

2 comments:

  1. I definitely think that's a warmouth....we used to catch them in a local stream fairly often....pretty good fight for their size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have caught a good amount of Warmouth and Rock bass myself. A guy on one of my fishing forums said it looked like a Sacramento Perch hybrid, I think he is right. It had that Warmouth shape but the color is Sacramento Perch on the body and Green Sunfish on the cheeks. Thanks for reading and commenting Unknown.

      Delete

Tell me what you think. All spam will be deleted. Google account users don't need Capcha verifications anymore so tell me what you think.
If you are interested in writing a guest post, or want me to write a guest post on your blog or website contact me at impracticalfishermen@gmail.com