Thursday, June 21, 2012

DIY Swim Bait Mold Pouring

After my Avail Party boat trip I knew I was going to need a lot more swim baits. The way I figured is the DIY way, grabbing a block of Sculpty putty  I went to work forming some swim bait shapes, most were standard but I made one ribbon tail (I didn't use it) and one Rock fish type I made for a larger jig head.Once I formed them to my liking and baked them I sanded them smooth.
4 swim bait blanks
Rock Cod Swim Bait
Threw together a box out of scrap n my garage and aluminum taped it to a baking sheet.
I bought a lb of Alumilite RTV Type III and short poured the mold. Had to wait 4 days and pay another $15 shipping to finish my mold and even then there were weak spots. So I covered them with some porous cloth for strength.
Once it cured I pulled the mold off the sheet.
Used a razer blade to clean up the top of the molds.
I could not wait, I mixed up some pearl for the bellies and a small batch of florescent orange for half and motor oil for the other half.
The final product turned out nice. 
I really lie the way everything turned out.
I am excited to see how they work. If I were to do it again I would have gone for the 3lb tub of RTV and done a few shorter skinnier swim bait blanks.

Thanks for reading.
Dan

3 comments:

  1. Those are awesome man! that rock cod shape would kill it on ling cod.. at least I think it would.. The fun part is trying it out right? poor me one of those bad boys for when you come to cayucos for some fishing.. I will pay you for the materials..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Joe, just let me know what colors.

      Delete

Tell me what you think. All spam will be deleted. Google account users don't need Capcha verifications anymore so tell me what you think.
If you are interested in writing a guest post, or want me to write a guest post on your blog or website contact me at impracticalfishermen@gmail.com