Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Kayak Fishing Big Sur

Got to hit up Big Sur with Derrick and another forum NCKA member Andy, started off in a small camping spot in Morro Bay to give us a head start. 

Derrick in the camp site
We got started at 4AM and headed up the coast to Big Sur, ever since I read "Big Sur" by Jack Kerouac while on the 2006 Enterprise deployment I have thought of the place and it did not disappoint.  It is beautiful, rugged, untamed and wild, a true grand way to end a continent.
Big Sur
We got out into the surf and started fishing, Derrick was first to hook up to a rock fish followed by Andy, I thought I had my first ocean fish out of a kayak and I reeled in... A starfish...

My First Kayak Starfish
Derrick hooked into a nice keeper Ling.
Derrick's Ling Cod
Ready for the Frying Pan
I switched to a Rock Cod rig with squid and pulled up this Blue Rock Fish on the first drop.
Caught a bunch of fish on squid until I found a few that threw up baby Octopus and I pulled up a bunch more.
Brown Rock Fish
I also managed to pull up a nice Cabazon around 4lbs.
Cabazon
Andy got a nice Rock fish off his jig
Andy's nice Rock Fish
One of the things I dislike about my camera is it does not have the lens wiper built in, so I get pictures like this.
Kelp Green Ling and a water drop over my face
Ended up taking some waves over the bow of my kayak as the wind picked up, I think when I went into the front hatch I didn't strap it down tight enough and water started flooding in. I started having trouble paddling in, I stopped for a second to talk with Andy and a wave hit me from the left tipping me right, I leaned left and flipped over. I was tired from paddling (didn't realize how much water was in the kayak) I couldn't pull myself up so Andy helped me back in. Lost a rod (with part of the Scotty rod leash attached), my tackle box, all the baits I poured, all my jigs, a bottle of Pro Cure and my hook remover.

On the landing somehow I made it in without wiping out, when I went to drag the kayak up the beach I thought I was just tired, but it was full of water! I estimate around 40 to 50 gallons. It was almost full, thank god I made it, I have to thank Andy again for being there to motivate and help me through it. Flipping the kayak over on a lake or in a pool is a whole lot different than doing it in 5ft swells and wind after a day of fishing and 45 minutes of hard paddling.

After all of that When I went to help Andy land a wave knocked me off my feet and pulled my new glasses off my face. I had to drive back to Hanford, Ca with my sunglasses in the dark. After all of that I have a new appreciation for things and respect for the ocean and what people can do to help a fellow human out. I will always remember this trip.

Thanks for reading,
Dan

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great trip overall, although sorry to hear about the spill and the glasses. I need to do more saltwater fishing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Drew, definite lessons learned here. Thanks for reading and commenting. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...close calls out there, Dan. Glad to hear it all turned out OK though, it does really suck you lost all that equipment. I can honestly say I know what it's like to lose a bunch of gear when your watercraft tips/sinks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blah I hate wiping out in the yak. Glad you're alright. May I ask what the starfish hit? I can safely say I've yet to catch one from the yak haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex, I snagged it on a red 4oz Iron vertical Jig.

      Delete
  5. Nice photo shop skills. You forgot to mention my stupid tube they caught a lot of fish.lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andy, stupid tube doesn't catch anything...

      Delete
  6. It sounds scary, but it also sounds exciting! glad you survived to blog another day!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think. All spam will be deleted. Google account users don't need Capcha verifications anymore so tell me what you think.
If you are interested in writing a guest post, or want me to write a guest post on your blog or website contact me at impracticalfishermen@gmail.com