Friday, July 20, 2012

Spider Bites


So just a word of warning if you or a loved one get a bite drom a bug or spider and it grows, causes numbness or pusses out go to the hospital. Everyone is fine now but I am glad we did not wait longer.
Brown Recluse bites should not be ignored especally in children, pregnent women and the elderly.

"Brown Recluse Bite Symptoms (taken from http://www.emedicinehealth.com/)

Brown recluse spider bites often go unnoticed initially because they are usually painless bites. Occasionally, some minor burning that feels like a bee sting is noticed at the time of the bite. Symptoms usually develop two to eight hours after a bite. Keep in mind that most bites cause little tissue destruction.
Victims may experience these symptoms:
Initially the bite site is mildly red and upon close inspection may reveal fang marks. Most commonly, the bite site will become firm and heal with little scaring over the next few days or weeks. Occasionally, the local reaction will be more severe with erythema and blistering, sometimes leading to a blue discoloration, and ultimately leading to a necrotic lesion and scarring. Signs that may be present include:
  • blistering (common),
  • necrosis (death) of skin and subcutaneous fat (less common), and
  • severe destructive necrotic lesions with deep wide borders (rare). "

Stay safe and get treated if you have these symptoms,
Dan

10 comments:

  1. They're no joke. Had to go to the hospital two years back for one and we've been killing a mess of brown recluses in our field house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter is in the hospital right now dealing with a bite. Poor girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. welcome to parenthood, really puts thing in perspective, all the things to be careful of and to watch out for. glad you didnt wait and i wish for a speedy recovery ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2 nights in the hospital, she still has a weeping hole in her arm. No fun at all.

      Delete
    2. Can you take pictures of the arm and send me through email?

      Delete
    3. It is pretty much healed up no, no pictures were taken. I was more interested my my daughters health and comfort than documenting the event. I made the post at work after my wife told me they were going to be in the hospital for a day or two. Thanks for your interest though.

      Delete
  4. I was treated for spider bite when I was little and I can remember the worried faces of my parents when I had numbness in the leg (where I was bitten) and had difficulty in breathing. Good thing that my dad was able to bring me to the local hospital to get the needed treatment. Today, when I go camping, I am particulary worried about spiders and has been vigilant about spider specie and treatments that are needed. I make sure that I wear my boots with thick socks to protect my feet. Protective clothings are a great help. For more information, hop on to http://backpackingmastery.com/skills/spider-bites-treatment.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your article reminds me of an instance last year when a spider delivered a devastating bite on my back. The outfitter we were with had some homemade remedies with her that really helped. Since then I don’t pass the opportunity of learning more about these little monsters. I will recommend this page to some friends of mine who like hiking in spider prone areas. Read more on spider bites here: http://wildernessmastery.com/survival/spider-bites-treatment.html

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think. All spam will be deleted. Google account users don't need Capcha verifications anymore so tell me what you think.
If you are interested in writing a guest post, or want me to write a guest post on your blog or website contact me at impracticalfishermen@gmail.com