Monday, August 6, 2012

Adding a Power-handle to a Bait Caster

I bought an Abu Garcia Ambassador 5000 from my friend Russ Lowe  almost 2 years ago, I brought it out saltwater fishing and found it to be an awesome reel for rock cod fishing. Last weekend after getting buying a cleaning kit and preforming some much needed maintenance on my low profile bait casters I decided to work my magic on the red Abu and it was another great transformation, but it was still missing something.

I was looking at reels to replace the Shimano I lost my last ocean trip and kept looking at reels with power handles, after a few clicks I found one at a decent price and thanks to Amazon Prime it was waiting for me on the door step after I got home from work. 
 Only took a reel wrench, a screw driver and a pick to make the switch, the new handle even came with a sweet Abu Garcia shield cover for the nut that secures the handle to the reel.
The new handle is only a little bigger than the original but you can feel the difference in your hand without even being rigged. I had some trouble reeling in ling cod the last time I was out and I think this is going to really help get the fish up better and faster, at least that is what I hope. 

Thanks for reading,
Dan

Update 20 August 2012: Got it out on the water an it makes a huge difference, it fishes like a new reel. I recommend this reel mod to anyone who likes fishing saltwater with light bait casting gear. Check out the results HERE.  

5 comments:

  1. Looks to me like you're on the right track. More power a Tim Allen thing. Hoo, hoo, hoo.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully I will get to use it on the 18th.

      Delete
  2. i do the same on mine! best back for the RF buck, them little abu's are the shizzle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had a few strange looks about using it on the ocean from people are using some beefy reels. Thing works like a dreem and now it reels even better. Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  3. A different indicate bear in mind will it be pays to learn the exact night out once the product seemed to be generated. Even so is really a ton less complicated said when compared with can be carried out mainly because it is extremely challenging to find the actual night out over a baitcasting reel.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think. All spam will be deleted. Google account users don't need Capcha verifications anymore so tell me what you think.
If you are interested in writing a guest post, or want me to write a guest post on your blog or website contact me at impracticalfishermen@gmail.com