Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Black Widows All Around Me!

I have always been fascinated with nature, more precisely the creatures and the weirder, rarer or more dangerous the better. Growing up catching bugs, keeping them in a jar with some grass an a few sticks for the joy of learning about them and just being close with nature. The infamous ones, the poisonous ones were always what excited kids of our kind. Telling stories about poisonous monsters in bushes and sheds retreating before anyone else could spot them. Tall tales making up bigger and bigger lies so we had exciting things to tell each other.
"My dad killed a scorpion last night, it's stinger almost got my little sister"
"I saw a Taranchula in my basement, it is a queen and is starting to lay eggs."  
"I saw Black Widows Crawling all over the shed, they are not there now, but they will be back." 
Mind you I grew up in a suburb of Chicago so pretty much all of these sightings were highly improbable, school yard tall tales and I would be confident to bet none were true. 

Now I live in California and have new neighbors... I see these ones a lot. 
Black Widow that lives under my hose reel, the one that lives near the back porch light was photo shy as was the one near the spot light and my neighbors fence
Thanks for reading,

14 comments:

  1. Makes me want to move back to AK where all the dangerous creatures you can hear coming at you from 50 ft away, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The black widow shot made me shudder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Took me 2 days to get, I kept bumping the web sending them scurrying away.

      Delete
  3. This reminds me of the years I spent in New Mexico. The first night after I moved, I walked out the back door and found one in the corner - not 4 feet from the door. I was a little tweaked at first, but quickly realized how unaggressive they are (as long as you don't bother them). Definitely cool little creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. spiders freak me out, even the tiny guys we got in Illinois, dont know what I would do about that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one could just bear hug a quarter, like Drew said they don't bother you.

      Delete
  5. I've heard the brown widows are becoming more prevalant too. They aren't as poisonous but can adapt to many environments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have seen a few of them, just thought they were house spiders or false widows at the time. Might have to take a closer look.

      Delete
    2. The main thing about them is their egg sacks are spikey.

      Delete
  6. The bug guy that sprays around our house says that there are 10,000 spiders for every acre. Let's see, 10,000 x 5 acres? Man that's a lot of spiders.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My house has 0.5 of an acre it sits on and that is still a lot of spiders.

      Delete

Tell me what you think. All spam will be deleted. Google account users don't need Capcha verifications anymore so tell me what you think.
If you are interested in writing a guest post, or want me to write a guest post on your blog or website contact me at impracticalfishermen@gmail.com