“Alcoholism is generally used to mean compulsive and uncontrolled consumption of alcoholic beverages, usually to the detriment of the drinker's health, personal relationships, and social standing.”
So why not add fishing in place of alcohol and take a look at it that way?
“Developed in 1971, the Michigan Alcohol Screening Test (MAST) is one of the oldest and most accurate alcohol screening tests available, effective in identifying dependent drinkers with up to 98 percent accuracy.
Questions on the MAST test relate to the patient's self-appraisal of social, vocational, and family problems frequently associated with heavy drinking. The test was developed to screen for alcohol problems in the general population.”
I developed this version in hope to help my fellow anglers.
The MAST Test (revised for anglers)
The MAST Test is a simple, self-scoring test that helps assess if you have a drinking problem. Answer yes or no to the following questions:
1. Do you feel you are a normal fishermen? ("normal" is defined as fishing as much or less than most other fishermen) Y/ N
2. Have you ever awakened the morning after fishing the night before and found that you could not remember a part of the evening? Y/ N
3. Does any relative or close friend ever worry or complain about your fishing? Y/ N
4. Can you stop fishing without difficulty after one or two strikes? Y/ N
5. Do you ever feel guilty about your fishing? Y/ N
6. Have you ever attended a meeting of B.A.S.S.? Y/ N
7. Have you ever gotten into physical fights when fishing? Y/ N
8. Has fishing ever created problems between you and a near relative or close friend? Y/ N
9. Has any family member or close friend gone to anyone for help about your fishing? Y/ N
10. Have you ever lost friends because of your fishing? Y/ N
11. Have you ever gotten into trouble at work because of fishing? Y/ N
12. Have you ever lost a job because of fishing? Y/ N
13. Have you ever neglected your obligations, family, or work for two or more days in a row because you were fishing? Y/ N
14. Do you fish before 6AM fairly often? Y/ N
15. Have you ever been told you have “Bass Thumb” or tendonitis of the wrist? Y/ N
16. After heavy fishing, have you ever had delirium tremens (DTs), severe shaking, visual or auditory (hearing) hallucinations? Y/ N
17. Have you ever gone to anyone for help about your fishing? Y/ N
18. Have you ever been hospitalized because of fishing? Y/ N
19. Has your fishing ever resulted in your being hospitalized in a psychiatric ward? Y/ N
20. Have you ever gone to any doctor, social worker, clergyman, or mental health clinic for help with any emotional problem in which fishing was part of the problem? Y/ N
21. Have you been banned from more than one fishing forum due to your conduct? Y/ N
22. Have you ever been arrested, or detained by an official for a few hours, because of other behavior while fishing? Y/ N
Scoring the MAST Test
Score one point if you answered "no" to the following questions: 1 or 4. Score one point if you answered "yes" to the following questions: 2, 3, 5 through 22.
A total score of six or more indicates hazardous fishing or fishing dependence and further evaluation by a healthcare professional is recommended.
I hope you enjoyed my sense of humor, there is no judgment here.
Thanks for reading,
|Just remember your fishing affects others...|
|He does not approve...|