Saturday, August 11, 2012

Tough Day on the Kings River


Things have been tough on the river since June when they opened up the dam up river, the water temperature  dropped, and all the water is way up into the reeds. Most of the people I have talked to have either been skunked or pick up an odd fish or two. I just picked up some new Jigs and got an order of Stankx PB&J Drop-shot worms and chunk trailers so that was all I decided I'd bring. I have never put much time into drop shoting and figured the only way to learn is to do it. The last few weeks have been extremely busy and I have had little time to myself let alone getting out to fish. My wife decided to take our daughters out to get hair cuts so she told me to load up my kayak and take it to work so I could get out. The minutes seemed to drag by as I sat at my desk knowing my kayak was in the back of my pickup waiting for me. At the end of the day I wen tout to my truck to get my shorts and flip flops and to my horror they were not in there. I forgot them at home and would have to wear black jeans and argyle socks under my waders, this is going to be hot. On a positive note the one thing I did not forget was my sunblock, I am still peeling from the last time.

As I drive past the first put in I see about 9 jet ski trailers on the shore and about 11 of the annoying water shaking machines buzzing around in circles, all I could do was pray the water was high enough that they could not get under the bridge back to where I was going. I get to my spot and as I am unloading the kayak I hear that distinct annoying whine that could not be anything but a jet ski. I launch and get out to the first spot I want to cast to and screaming around the corner comes a girl on a blue and white two seater. Her wake rocked me back and forth and ripped through the reeds I was trying to fish, if this kept up I was pretty sure it would not be a fishy day. She wasn't alone I heard music and my fears were true a 18 foot wake boat blasting music and towing a tuber comes blasting through, it almost beached me. Luckily he decided to move on to another area but a family with 3 jet skis must have figured I liked them because they stuck around buzzing me and swamping out the bank.
 The picture does not really do justice to how close they were getting to the wake I had to deal with on this small river. I started with my worm about 9 inches above the weight and lowered it to around 5 inches, I was in about 7 feet of water next to some structure when I felt the thing swimming away, so I set the hook and pulled up my first dropshot fish ever and my first King river Bass since June.  That peanut butter Jelly Slug did his job.
 I had a few more hits off the shore, most of them went like this; cast to the shore, feel a small tick, miss a fish and a jet ski buzzes past... I was out for about 2 hours and my wife called seeing if I was eating dinner with the family. The sun was starting to set and the jet skis were being packed up but it was time. I don't know if I was just exhausted from the week, or dealing with the Jet Skis but dinner with the family seemed like the best way to end the day. I beat the skunk, caught my first drop shot fish and it was good. The water seems to be warming a bit and hopefully the fishing will pick back up soon.

Thanks for reading,
Dan

13 comments:

  1. Nice composition Dan. A good mixed with the bad story

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Daniel. Jet Skis, Dirt Bikes, all pains in the ass. I've always fished the King for trout, but not in this hot of a summer.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a different river down here, no trout to be seen. I would vote on a heavy tax on Jet Skies if I had a chance to.

      Delete
  3. Agreed. Jet Skiers = TROUBLE! I get so annoyed when we are out kayaking or just sitting down by the river and out of the silence rips one of those beasts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the heavy tax on jet skis! Everything else that can cause bodily harm is taxed high (alcohol, tobacco, tanning beds), why not jet skis! I just wish the riders knew (or cared) how loud they are compared to what a kayaker is accustom to hearing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sound is more annoying than 100,000,000 mosquitoes buzzing in your ear.

      Delete
  5. I wish I was doing more finesse plastics fishing. Those stankx's sure look top notch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are plus Travis the owner is great to work with if you got any ideas.

      Delete
  6. I have a lovely river just like it right in front of my house, but the boat and Jet ski traffic make fishing impossible all summer long. Glad you got at least one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is too bad, at least you have the spring and fall.

      Delete
  7. Looks like a nice day despite the jetskis. It's crazy how many different bass worms theres are. You could probably fish a different one every day and not fish them all in a year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is why I have been sticking with Stankx, they have fair prices and I can get custom colors just sending an email.

      Delete

Tell me what you think. All spam will be deleted. Google account users don't need Capcha verifications anymore so tell me what you think.
If you are interested in writing a guest post, or want me to write a guest post on your blog or website contact me at impracticalfishermen@gmail.com