Saturday, September 1, 2012

Pickling and Canning.

Since I made my first batch of Dill Pickles I have had a bug in me to find more things to can and preserve. there is a ton of Okra I figured would be great pickled growing in a lot near my house so I grabbed my daughters and headed out there. Turns out it is not ready yet, some pods are just forming but most of them are still flowers. I'll have to hit them up in a week or two.  
Wild Okra
I decided I needed to can something so I went out to the Super Market and bought about 6 lbs of carrots, some Jalapenos and some dried Chinese peppers. Peeled and split the carrots, stuffed them in the jars with the peppers, a clove of garlic and 5 or 6 peppercorns. I topped the jars off with a brine of white vinegar, water, honey and salt. The ratio was about 1 cup Vinegar, 2/3 cup water, 2 tsp canning salt and 2 tsp Honey.
Going into the bath
Got the water up to a boil and dropped the jars in for 20 minutes at a boil. 
I can't wait to try these bad boys out, hopefully the Okra will be ready soon.

Thanks for reading,
Dan

6 comments:

  1. Mmm nummy! I have some fresh pickled garlic in the fridge... Not sure if I can wait two weeks to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is the hardest thing about canning, waiting for it to be ready.

      Delete
  2. For the impractical fisherman you look like a pretty practical guy. My parents always canned tons of things, but sadly I haven't taken it upon myself to do any. Maybe you've inspired me for next year since yours all looks very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to be practical but it doesn't always work out that way. For the work it took the end product was well worth it. The best thing about canning is unlike cooking one good meal to share with a few people you can share pickles and preserves with many people.

      The carrots were a hit with my girls, hopefully the 5 jars I have last longer than a week or two.

      Delete
  3. Hey. I'm just curious, did you use an FDA approved recipe? Usually carrots must be canned using a pressure cooker, not waterbath and garlic is usually not recommended for canning...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are being pickled not preserved. There is a big difference, you need a pressure cooker to can carrots and garlic, and if your read those recipes the only acid is a teaspoon of lemon juice. I use my own recipe here, but there are similar recipes out there on the web and published in books, but I never bothered to have my recipe approved by the FDA. Thanks for reading.

      Delete

Tell me what you think. All spam will be deleted. Google account users don't need Capcha verifications anymore so tell me what you think.
If you are interested in writing a guest post, or want me to write a guest post on your blog or website contact me at impracticalfishermen@gmail.com