Wednesday, November 28, 2012

My Great Grandfather's Tackle Box

Going through his mother's garage my father came across his grandfathers tackle box. He brought it home and gave it to me figuring I would be interested in it. I don't think I have ever even seen a picture of my great grandfather. I have heard a few stories about his love of juicy fruit and how he made his grandchildren stein the creek for minnows to fry up. Everything appears to be from the early 50s, and it is all pretty interesting (at least to a fishing fanatic like me). 
Here it is a brown Sport King locking tackle box.
2 drawers and plenty of room inside. There was some old newspapers that did not appear to be anything other than to wick away moisture. There was also a Hedden spinning reel, a fillet knife, a rusty metal fish stringer and some half melted flies. 
From what I understand this Jaleoxe reel made between 1939 and 1950 and manufactured in Bronson, Michigan.
I wonder how many muskies the old man caught with this. 
Next up is a Copper Circle spoon made by  Canadian Baits Inc. of Minneapolis, Minnesota. 
At first I thought it was some king of dodger for trolling. There was a large J hook in the box that I thought went to something else until I started doing some research on the lure. From what I read this lure claimed to catch: Northern Pike, Musky, Black Bass, Walleye and Lake Trout. I wonder if my great grandfather ever caught anything on it. 
He also had a ton of spoons. I am not sure if Daredevil marked their lures back then or if they are imitations. The large chrome one is a KB spoon made in Superior, Wisconsin some time around the early 50s. They all seem to have some wear and tear like they got some use. 
He also had some bait harnesses and a few inline spinners, I bet that spinner adds a lot of action to a lure, today a lot of fishermen seem to be more concerned over the stealth of their fishing line is than how much flash or vibration their lure has. 
This last ite, really threw my wife and I for a loop. Is it a Whistle? Does it make a sound? Is it a swivel weight? Nope, a internet search of the patent number proved this is a fishing bait quick release. You attach one end to your line and the other to your lure. When the fish takes the bait it pulls and drops the weight leaving you to fight the fish. With the cost of lead these days, this would be a hard sell on today's market. The patent was applied for in 1946 and granted in 1948. 
I was never able to meet the man, but I know a little more about him. It is amazing how far fishing technology has and hasn't come in the 60 or so years since these items were manufactured. I wanted to know more about these items, not what they are worth. The sad thing is a majority of the web pages brought up in searching for info on these items were auction sites. I only found a hand full of sites with any real information about the products.

This stuff is history and should be preserved, not for a cash value but for its cultural value. If anyone reading this has any more information or sites with more information about these items, don't it hold back, share it with me.

Thanks for reading,
Dan

9 comments:

  1. The reel looks like the ones we had on our rods as kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's amazing. my dad had that exact tackle box back in the day! i still remember going fishing with him and having to carry that heavy thing! great post, man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is pretty heavy, I bet a few kids had sore shoulderd lugging boxes like that full of lead weights.

      Delete
  4. Very cool. My dad has an old tackle box filled with antique lures from his dad and grandfather. I may browse through it next time I'm home. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love posts like this. Really cool. That line on that reel almost looks like rope.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Any easy lug implies you will get not any stuttering, missing, or perhaps tow hooks tearing no cost. Any trusted bail system implies you do not arranged your catch over a seafood simply to achieve the brand flip your bail wide open with the most severe time, for more information visit here.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think. All spam will be deleted. Google account users don't need Capcha verifications anymore so tell me what you think.
If you are interested in writing a guest post, or want me to write a guest post on your blog or website contact me at impracticalfishermen@gmail.com