Wednesday, November 28, 2012

San Simeon Pier Fishing

I really wanted the girls to get in on some fish so I decided to hit the coast this weekend, it worked out because my wife had homework to do, so we had all day. The plan was to leave the house at 5 am and head to San Simeon until around noon. then we would head to Cayucos for lunch and spend the rest of the day there. When I woke up at 4:30 the girls were both anxiously waiting in the living room. The said they had been up since 1 because they were too excited to sleep. Maybe there is some hope for this generation?

We hopped in the car and headed out into the thich Tule fog, it was so thick I was startled by a car parked on the side of the road. It just appeared 20 feet enfront of me and was enough to make me jump in my seat. The fog lifted by the time we hit Rt 41, but did not dissappear completely. We got to San Simeon pier around 730 and my oldest had her first fish on by 0745, a Barred Surf Perch.
My daughter with her Surf Perch
She caught another before I could get my line back in the water and by 0800 she caught a nice sized Jack smelt. I really like the colors these guys have in person, silver sides, a dark green tint on their backs and an electric blue stripe running down their sides. I wish it would show in photos better.

Pacific Jack Smelt
My younger daughter was fuming, the last trip she caught most the fish and here she is getting showed up. She made me change her rig to a feathered Sabiki and got back to fishing.
Standing on the pipe to get over the rail
A few more casts and she was on her first fish, a nice little Surf Perch.
Surf Perch
We continued fishing and cathing up until the tide went out around 1030 and the bite stopped. We kekept at it with no bites until Noon when hunger over took us. We drove down to Cayucos adn grabbed a bite to eat. The wind was much strongerthan it was at San Simeon but we tried any way. 3 casts adn 2 tangles later we decided to go back to San Simeon for the day. The point really helped block the wind and made it possable to cast easier.

Low low tide. 

We fished for a few more hours getting not as much as a nibble, The surf was steady but the tide was still low. I tried to cast my rig towards the kelp bed and would have made it if I didn't run out of line. I was watching my rig fly out after the perfect cast, then suddenly it stopped and dropped. This was followed by a small crack as the knot tied to my spool broke, the line shot past the last eyelet, and it was gone. I think I might have to pick up a slightly larger reel... Maybe.

My oldest and I kept it up into the evening, my youngest played in the surf andcollected crabs and mussels to show us.  

Our little crab friend
The sun set and it was time to go home, we had some fish and got to spend some quality time togeather. I really hope we get to do it again soon.

Sunset on San Simeon Pier
Thanks for reading,
Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. All spam will be deleted. Google account users don't need Capcha verifications anymore so tell me what you think.
If you are interested in writing a guest post, or want me to write a guest post on your blog or website contact me at impracticalfishermen@gmail.com