Monday, December 31, 2012

Butterflies Are Fast

   One sunny summer afternoon a few months ago I saw some movement outside my window. I stepped outside and found a few butterflies chasing each other around my sunflowers and Passion flowers. I had never seen butterflies like this before, some Googling eventually lead me to identify them as being "Gulf Fritillary." It took me a while to find the name of the species as they are more common around Flordia than here in Central California. 
I followed this pair for some time, taking pictures as well as I could...
The problem is they would not hold still long enough for me to take a shot. 
I gave up, so I left them on my camera's memory card. Even though they were not the shots I was after there was something beautiful about them. In a way they symbolize how this year has gone for me personally. It has been a disaster that has somehow worked out. Like Bob Ross says "There are no mistakes, just happy little accidents." Things did not work out for me the way I wanted this year but they worked out. 

I am looking forward to next year, and all its happy little accidents.

Thanks for reading,
Dan

12 comments:

  1. I hope this year is better for you. Butterflies are tough to photograph. My camera has a sports setting that helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No sports function on the olympus, I should have used my wife's Nikon, but you live and learn.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful images ---hope 2013 will be a success on the water for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look foward to reading your 2013 adventures as well.

      Delete
  3. Finding your frittillaries is a happy little accident on a cold winter day. May you find plenty more this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pictures were from early October, One catipillar did form a crystalis right past my front door. Hopefully I get to see it hatch in the spring.

      Delete
  4. Those are some good looking shots. I've tried a few times to photograph insects, it can be tough! Good luck in this new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joseph. Good luck to you as well.

      Delete
  5. Nice photographs- I like the lighting in the third shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I was contimplating cropping the blurred bug, but, oh well. :D

      Delete

Tell me what you think. All spam will be deleted. Google account users don't need Capcha verifications anymore so tell me what you think.
If you are interested in writing a guest post, or want me to write a guest post on your blog or website contact me at impracticalfishermen@gmail.com