Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Pickling Asparagus

I was at Costco the other day and they had a deal on asparagus, I could not resist. I have wanted to try to pickle it for a while, because I have always liked store bought asparagus pickles. I estimated 5 bags would fit 7 mason jars, and I hit the nail on the head.
I cold-packed the asparagus in the wide mouth jars using the handle of a wooden spoon to help me pack them in tight. After I packed all the jars I added 2 cloves of garlic, 2 or 3 red peppers and 5-6 black peppercorns into each jar. The brine was 1 cup white vinegar  2 cups H2O, and 2 table spoons of salt. It is an easy brine recipe, I use it for about everything.
The water in my water bath was on the verge of boiling when I dropped the jars in, but it just would not boil. I realized cold air from the open kitchen window might be keeping my water from boiling. I closed the window and within 3 minutes my water was boiling. I let it boil for 10 minutes, but it was too long. My pickles shriveled up, if only I closed the window.  
\On a positive note, the pickles taste good. The have the consistency of overcooked asparagus , but the tang from the vinegar and heat from the pepper still do them justice. Learn from my mistakes, keep the window closed.

Thanks for reading,
Dan

10 comments:

  1. I am a fan of pickled foods, especially pickles. I haven't tried asparagus, but this looks and sounds good. The Amish are into pickling all sorts of vegetables. Our local produce store here carries Amish pickled vegetables, and one of them is the asparagus; I may have to give this one a try. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try them, if you like asparagus you will love asparagus pickles.

      Delete
  2. Better luck next time. A good learning experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just like to learn the hard way I guess.

      Delete
  3. I noticed lately that some commercially processed green vegetables have a new, special additive that keeps the vegetables vibrantly colored green and firm: Zinc Chlorides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe there is some better living through Chemistry, but I just don't want to expose myself and my family to too much. That is why I only use salt and vinegar, the taste makes up for any color loss.

      Delete
  4. Good tips! I have to try some pickling of some venison this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wanting to get a pressure cooker to can meat for a while.

      Delete
  5. Nice harvest you got there. I've tried growing things many times with major failure. It's harder than articles make it out to be. At least for me. I keep getting plants that grow one fruit then just die off. I had it happen with tomatoes and cucumbers. I got a few jalapenos to grow but after about 10 the plant did nothing. My soil has plenty of worms and it seems fertile. Not sure what the issue is. I guess it could be the heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish it was a harvest, The maretials were all store bought. The only thing I seem to be able to grow is Sunflowers. My berrie bushes keep dying. :(

      Delete

Tell me what you think. All spam will be deleted. Google account users don't need Capcha verifications anymore so tell me what you think.
If you are interested in writing a guest post, or want me to write a guest post on your blog or website contact me at impracticalfishermen@gmail.com