Sunday, February 17, 2013

Beer Battered Puff Balls


   I don't know about you, but I am getting pretty sick of Winter. It is about time for spring to come around the corner. One thing that is great about the warmer weather is the chance at wild edibles. Puffballs are more of a late spring early summer thing, but a guy can dream can't he? They are great for a novice because they are so easy to identify. Puffballs are white through and through, they just seem to form p from a small root in the soil. If there appears to be any type of stem, don't chance it. They might be something else. If you don't know what you have, don't eat it. Puffballs grow in lots of different places, I found these in my front yard, the great thing is I know they will be there year after year. :D
Make sure when you slice them up you check for debris, grass clippings and pine needles can be embedded in the flesh. Some people prefer to cut off the outer layer before preparing the puffball, because it is a little chewy. The inside is much softer, like a stiff meringue, I left mine intact.
I made a quick beer batter using buttermilk pancake mix, add just enough beer coat a fork without it all running off. Season with Kosher salt, paprika and dried parsley. Coat the sliced mushrooms and place in 400 degree vegetable oil. I added some butter to add some flavor.

Once the top of batter starts forming large bubbles it it time to flip your mushroom slices.
They will be golden brown and delicious.
Serve them up with a little ranch dressing or a drizzle of malted vinegar and enjoy. Do your research before eating anything in from the wild, but remember if you choose to pass them up you might be missing out.

Thanks for reading,
Dan

10 comments:

  1. Looks absolutely delicious. Glad, too, that Coors Lite is finally good for something (say I with a chuckle!). But I'll try to save this for early autumn when the puffballs make thir long-awaited appearance in my yard. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They pop up at different times of the year, I think I have seen them pop up in the fall as well. Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Very common mushrooms, and pretty tasty.

      Delete
  3. Well this is a new one on me, but I tell you what it looks awesome as a meal-just add my Bud-lite--thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read that about 10% of the population has gastrointestinal issues when it comes to puff balls and the end result is similar to the sound of a diesel motor. A poorly tuned diesel motor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing as %60 of adults have the same reaction to Lactose and still eat dairy products, mushrooms are a safe bet. :D

      Delete
  5. Yummy! Mushroom hunting is my burgeoning hobby. I have been reading up this winter and doing some identification when possible. I have a couple of excursions with seasoned hunters planned next month. I am super excited!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think. All spam will be deleted. Google account users don't need Capcha verifications anymore so tell me what you think.
If you are interested in writing a guest post, or want me to write a guest post on your blog or website contact me at impracticalfishermen@gmail.com