Sunday, February 10, 2013

How To Make Your Own Lox

It is sad how many people I have met in my travels who have never had the pleasure of cold smoked cured salmon on top a bagel. Around Chicago Lox are common bagel toppers, while out here in the west it is hard to come by. While it can be found a a lot of sores it is a lot cheaper and tastier to make your own, here is how.

Last weekend when I was at Morro Bay I stopped into a fish store. They had lots of good cuts as well as cured and smoked product. I decided to buy  a half pound of beautiful King Salmon. I packed it in the cooler and drove home. I wish I would have taken a picture of it before the curing process. It changed a lot, to cure it all I did was coat it in kosher salt and Dark Brown sugar. The meat darkened and it lost some moisture. Over the course of three days I drained the fluid twice. The meat formed a slick hard shell and the color darkened. I rinced it well, dried it and let it come to room tempter prior to smoking.
I loaded my cold smoker with apple wood chips and let it get nice and smokey before I added the salmon. I filled a bowl full of ice to help keep the temperature down.
The smoke was intense, it really took off. I tried to take a picture after and hour, before taking the fish out.
The smoke flavor was a little too intense for me, so I covered the fish in brown sugar and kosher salt for a day and a half. The smoke flavor was still strong but not overwhelming after the rinse. I set the fillet in the freezer on a plate to firm up prior to slicing. Slicing it across the grain adds to the tenderness. I placed the slices on parchment paper and wrapped them up in tin foil for storage. IT tastes amazing on a everything bagel with cream cheese. 

It is easier and tastier than it looks, try it for your self. If you don't have a cold smoker or don't want to mess with it just curing the lox in salt and sugar gives you tasty lox all on its own. a dash of liquid smoke could give you that taste as well.

Thanks for reading,
Dan


To read how I made my cold smoker, click the link below.
http://theimpracticalfishermen.blogspot.com/2013/02/how-to-make-your-own-cold-smoked-cheese.html

9 comments:

  1. I haven't had Lox and Cream Cheese on a bagel in years! Thanks for reminding me what it is all about! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have no excuse, there are no Einstein Bagel's around here.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. It's been a long time since I had lox. When our family owned a stereo store back in the late 70's and early 80's we were just a couple of stores away from a bagel store. The owner would come over to our store and bring a bunch of bagels and bialy's along with lox and cream cheese. It was the first time I tried lox and I really liked it! I miss those days! :)

      Delete
  2. Daniel
    One delicious looking meal----you know those big sow bass are getting ready to spawn--looking for a post on a big sow bass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lox:The perfect food..delicious and healthy(even if a bit salty).I suppose Im a bit prejudiced being Jewish

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, and I am a Gentile. I am glad you liked the post, thanks for reading and commenting. :D
    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think. All spam will be deleted. Google account users don't need Capcha verifications anymore so tell me what you think.
If you are interested in writing a guest post, or want me to write a guest post on your blog or website contact me at impracticalfishermen@gmail.com