Friday, March 8, 2013

Gulf Fritillery Hatchery Right in My Front Yard

Gulf Fritillarys twitterpating
        The Gulf Fritillary, or Passion ButterflyAgraulis vanillae, is a bright orange butterfly that you might mistake for a Monarch Butterfly at first glance.  The live from Argentina through Mexico into the Southern United States. They don't get much further than San Francisco and are absolutely stunning. I could stare at these energetic butterflies for hours as they bob and weave, and chase each other around my passion flower plant. I tried to get a few shots of them earlier in the year, but it was not really a success. They move so fast, and do not seem to like to stay in one sport for much longer than a few seconds. I figured it would be a long while before I had another chance to photograph them. 

     I thought I might have missed out on a chance until about a week ago when I was picking up some trash that blew into my passion flower plant. I knew it was a Gulf Fritillery Caterpillar as soon as I saw it. 
Then I started looking around and saw another...
And another...

And another...

And another...
         
          There were so many of them, I can not wait until they pupate and I get a massive hatch of beautiful butterflies flying around. I spotted at least two dozen crawling along, so it is going to be a good show. I just hope I am around when they hatch. 

Thanks for reading,

Dan


http://theimpracticalfishermen.blogspot.com/2012/12/butterflies-are-fast.html

7 comments:

  1. Apparently it's easier to photograph the caterpillar. They do tend to be slower. Just kidding, you're supposed to laugh......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... I'm laughing, it's just on the inside... :D

      Delete
  2. Every year when the milkweed plants are up we go around collecting Monarch caterpillars. Last year I think we raised almost 50 of them. I hear that when they migrate, they come back to where they started. Actually, their offspring. Somehow they implant the location in their offspring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is pretty cool Ken, I remember reading about your last hatch.

      Delete
  3. Dan,
    Loved these photos! Thank you for sharing.
    I haven't seen any little crawling creatures, at all here in Idaho..yet.
    But I'm on the watch for them.
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dan - I feel like I'm back in high school getting my science project together... Great photos!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think. All spam will be deleted. Google account users don't need Capcha verifications anymore so tell me what you think.
If you are interested in writing a guest post, or want me to write a guest post on your blog or website contact me at impracticalfishermen@gmail.com