Sunday, April 14, 2013

Lake Nacimiento Kayak Fishing Report

Had a great trip out to Lake Nacimiento just northwest of Paso Robles, California. A member of CentralCoastKayakFishing.com, Seaweed, let us launch from a private ramp. It was an especially special trip because I was taking Ed, owner of LBS Tackle, on his first kayak fishing trip. We got on the water around eight in the morning, and it was not long before Ed already had his first fish. A spotted bass caught off a Zoom Fluke rigger on a LBS Darthead jig.
The beauty of this place is almost overwhelming, as we paddled along turkeys and doves called out to us from the shore. Things were relativity peaceful before the jet skis and wake runners took over the lake.
Ed thought he was on a big bass when he hooked this three pound channel cat.
I was sulking about m lack of fish, switching to a dropshot I started to get bit. I missed two in a row, a few casts later I thought I was snagged on a rock. Then the drag on my small 500 sized Abu Garcia spinning reel started singing. To my surprise I pulled in this guy, he is going to make some good dinner.
After the catfish I started getting into the bass, they tended to be off rocky shores that dropped off into deeper water.
Derrick ended up with a ice dark male white crappie that was in full spawning colors and a bunch of rat spotted bass.
For as small as those spotted bass were, they were sure pretty looking and but up a relativity good fight.
Ed seemed to enjoy his first kayak fishing trip, it was great getting out there catching fish and sharing the sport with others. 
On the trip back I saw more deer than I have seen in many years. WE came across a heard of small bucks grazing in a field.
I managed to get a few good photos, I wish I had my wife's D3100 with me. That 200 milometer lens would have done a better job capturing the image.
There were also more turkeys than I have seen in my life, that area is a sportsmen's paradise. I can only hope to some day be able to afford to live in a place like this.
Jeff, thank you so much for letting us use your launch, I had a blast. Ed, I am glad you could make it. Derrick thank you for letting Ed use your spare kayak, you are the man.

Thanks for reading,

Dan

Checkout LBS Tackle on Facebook.

2 comments:

  1. That looks like a great place for a paddle. Looks like you had some good action too. Hope all is well with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is Tommy, the only problem is the drunks in wake boats, it is worse than the Fox Chain.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think. All spam will be deleted. Google account users don't need Capcha verifications anymore so tell me what you think.
If you are interested in writing a guest post, or want me to write a guest post on your blog or website contact me at impracticalfishermen@gmail.com