Saturday, April 20, 2013

Organic Pest Control

         A sure sign that we are well into spring around my house is the Passion Flower Plan starts blooming again.
One of the other signs of spring is an abundance of spiders, our house is covered with them. Black Widows, house spiders, wolf spiders, brown widows, brown recluse, jumping spiders, the list goes on. Instead of spraying pesticides, I prefer an organic approach. I don't want neighbor kids or our dogs getting sick, so I got excited when I saw this at a local hardware store.
Over 400 tiny insect assassins, perfect for taking out the bugs that bother my wife.
The light hardened egg cases just need to be left for the warmth of spring to trigger the hatch, then hundreds of tiny mantises will emerge. Some will move on, taking care of pests in neighbor's yards, but some will stick around.
I found this little guy in my back yard last night, and I think it is a good sign. Toads used to be common when I was a child, but they do not seem to be as numerous as they once were. I am glad he has chosen our backyard for his home, and hopefully he stays for a while eating mosquitoes and beetles. Hopefully the mantis eggs will hatch soon. 

Thanks for reading,
Dan

12 comments:

  1. Living where we do, it's almost impossible to get rid of bugs. We have the bug guy spray, we have hundreds (no I haven't counted them, I can barely see them they are so small) of frogs in the pond, but we have BATS, lots of BATS for the mosquitoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That reminds me, I have been meaning to make a bat box for my backyard.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this post - this is a great idea. We are contemplating how to deal with the inevitable pests that will hit our vegetable garden. We also want to avoid harsh chemicals, but it seems like a lot of the alternatives out there (home remedies, etc.) only work about 30% of the time. We are still searching for the most earth/human/dog friendly option.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I figure if you use 4 things that work 30% of the time you have 120% coverage. :D

    All kidding aside, the point isto keep trying new things until something works. If you are adapting to the habitat, instead of adapting the habitat to fit you once you find the right balance things will work out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, you take some great pictures brother! that picture of the passion flower plant is outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks J, I try to produce some eye candy as much as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like getting comments, but the spam has to go. I will delete it.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you find evidence of termites in your home, there's a good chance that their numbers are already quite strong.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think. All spam will be deleted. Google account users don't need Capcha verifications anymore so tell me what you think.
If you are interested in writing a guest post, or want me to write a guest post on your blog or website contact me at impracticalfishermen@gmail.com