Friday, May 24, 2013

Guest Blogger: Jenny G. On Blood Suckers.


I was approached by someone who wanted to write a piece on how to prevent tick and mosquito bites.  I couldn't pass the opportunity of getting more information on stopping these pests from ruining my time with how frequently as they annoy and feast on me when I am out on the water.

They live to do one thing... Suck. 
"The start of fishing season anywhere in the country is a beautiful, fun time of year. However, it usually coincides with mosquito and tick season. Slapping and hitting away mosquitoes and picking off and checking for ticks isn't really conducive to a relaxing or, hopefully, exciting day of fishing. Not only do they cause annoyance, but also transmit diseases like West Nile virus and Lyme disease. With just a few steps you can make your fishing experience much more pest free. 



Since mosquitoes breed in calm or standing water, your fishing spot has the potential to become a hotbed of mosquito activity, especially at dawn and dusk. It is tough to completely protect yourself from mosquito bites, but there are some quality products on the market right now that can make it much easier. DEET has long been popular for mosquito control, but dousing yourself in chemicals and then sitting in the sun can mean sweating your protection right off. However, it is still an extremely effective mosquito repellent, especially if you plan on camping, too. The more layers of clothing you wear will also give you greater protection. Hats, long sleeves, etc., can all deter mosquitoes from even trying to feed. It also is great for sun protection. However, it can be hard to layer in summer weather.

They can be anywhere.
There are products, like Tick Block, that you apply directly to your clothing that soaks right into the fabric and work to repel mosquitoes (and ticks!) using permethrin, one of the most widely used and effective pesticides that has a very low toxicity to people (See here). The best part of this type of repellent is that it lasts through several washes. It works best on cotton, cotton blends, or leather. They can be applied to synthetic fabrics, like nylon, but may not last as long.  Remember your pets: If you plan on bringing your dog along, don’t forget that he might need protection too! The diseases mosquitoes pass on to you can affect him as well and there are repellent formulas made especially for pets.


Empty and full.
Ticks are slightly trickier to repel because they’re not as obvious as mosquitoes. The most important thing to keep in mind any time you’re around woody or bushy areas is to check yourself thoroughly for ticks when you get home. Diseases or infection are usually transmitted if the tick is left attached for 24-36 hours, so it is crucial to check for these daily. The steps mentioned above for mosquitoes also help in tick repellents. Again, don’t forget your dogs! Check    them very well daily; ticks can make animals very sick." 



Jenny G.


"Jenny is a writer living in the Midwest who loves to write to help people improve their outdoor experiences by providing information and tips for gardening, home improvement, and anything to do with nature. When not writing, you can usually find her doing something creative; especially cooking, baking, or convincing her father-in-law to take her fishing--even though she won't touch the fish."

Thank you Jenny for the information, even if it just saves me from getting a few bites it was well worth it. Stay safe from the bugs on this Memorial Day weekend while we remember our fallen service members. 

For information on being a guest blogger email me at impracticalfishermen@gmail.com

Thanks for reading, 

Dan 

9 comments:

  1. I HATE ticks. There is one section of river that I don't fish in the summer mainly because of ticks. It gets over grown and invested with the blood suckers. I'm sure I'm missing good fishing. I figure I'm also keeping from getting Lyme Disease or something else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last time I was trout fishing up near Yolo county I got one on my back. I took a shower and didn't feel it, but good thing my wife saw it when I went to bed. Nasty little critters.

      Delete
    2. I have actually read a lot of your blog posts in the last hour. I really enjoy what you are doing here. (And as a writer of fantasy novels, I'm enjoying looking at different aspects of that when you go through them in blog post). And truly, I love world-culture building.
      Read more: Best Crossbow

      Delete
  2. Bill
    Ticks are my worst enemy, if I am near the woods, they go for me. Good info--thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well maybe that is a good reason to go fishing with you--it will keep them away from me! :D

      Delete
  3. Dan, don't know Jenny, but did want to applaud her post. Very timely information and well worth remembering for any of us who spend time in the outdoors. Thanks to you both for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A far as I know she is thinking of starting a blog soon. Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete

Tell me what you think. All spam will be deleted. Google account users don't need Capcha verifications anymore so tell me what you think.
If you are interested in writing a guest post, or want me to write a guest post on your blog or website contact me at impracticalfishermen@gmail.com