Saturday, June 22, 2013

Making a Hawg Trough Great with Great Stuff

Represent! 
Hawg Troughs have become standard tools for Catch Picture Release (CPR) Tournaments these days because they are fairly cheap, sturdy, and photograph well. They are also needed for the massive online tournament Kayak Wars. I knew I did not have enough time for Kayak Wars this year, but I did sign up for Central Coast Kayak Fisherman's Kayak Angler of the Year this year. Each species has a point value per inch and your top ten fish count for your total. So it is important not to loose the Hawg Trough. While they are durable they do not float straight from the box so I had to fix that.  

I had a can of great stuff laying around, even if you have to buy a can the four dollars is worth saving a twenty dollar Hawg Trough. 
I loaded it up and let it dry, once it was hardened I hacked the excess away with a hacksaw. You can get away with filling the edges and cutting it down with a utility knife. If you mess it up or don't want it anymore a flat head screwdriver would scrape it right off. 
I have a ton of this metal duct tape I have no use for so I used it to seal the foam. I figure it is shiny enough to act as a signaling devise if needed. But does it work? 

As you can see my pool needs to be cleaned and my Hawg trough is floating high and dry.  One less thing to worry about sinking into the abyss. 

Thanks for reading,

Dan

6 comments:

  1. Necessity is the mother of invention. Besides, who has a house and does have Great Stuff in their garage?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing better than using what you have right?

      Delete
  2. That's such an awesome idea! Good stuff, man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to think of it as Great Stuff. ;)

      Delete
  3. Have your ever seen Hawg Tape by F&H Decals?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not until I just Googled it. It looks like a good idea if you have a boat, but impractical in a kayak. There are cheaper measuring tapes for use out of the water. Plus I can see how reading a tape measure under the refracting water might be tricky. I'm better off with a Hawg Trough, but there are a lot of ways to skin a cat right?

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think. All spam will be deleted. Google account users don't need Capcha verifications anymore so tell me what you think.
If you are interested in writing a guest post, or want me to write a guest post on your blog or website contact me at impracticalfishermen@gmail.com