Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Tough Day on the River.

San Joaquin Bluegill

       Hit the San Joaquin river on Saturday morning with a new friend I met through my blog. Waking up at four in the morning is a common fishing practice, but here in the central valley if you do not get out early the heat will drive you back in until dusk. It was a eventful day that started out with my kayak cart breaking. I cursed the guy who told me it would break for a few minutes, and reminded myself I seem to like learning the hard way, and that is why I named my blog what I did...

San Joaquin Bass fry 
     

      It was a beautiful spot, and the day started out mild enough. We fished for a few hours with no takers. The water was cool and clear with a good amount of current flowing. Then the sun came out and the mercury rose above one hundred degrees Fahrenheit. We fished a few old quarry lakes that were dug out close to the main channel and fed by the river. I only have a few hits, but no big takers. I did manage to catch one of about a thousand tiny bass I saw in the shallows and a small bluegill. By noon I was dehydrated, craving a Slushee, and had some good sunburn on my legs--it was time to go.


          I wish I would have taken some pictures in the morning when the light was awesome. It was just too good looking and I had to try the water. Caleb, thank you for the drink, being so awesome, and helping me lug my heavy kayak up that hill--we need to do it again.

Thanks for reading,

Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. All spam will be deleted. Google account users don't need Capcha verifications anymore so tell me what you think.
If you are interested in writing a guest post, or want me to write a guest post on your blog or website contact me at impracticalfishermen@gmail.com