Saturday, August 24, 2013

How to Copy an Existing Lure using Plaster of Paris.



            I started off with a Storm Wildeye Live Goby because I have always liked the bait but never really liked the way it was rigged. Cutting into the top of the bait to remove the internal hook and weight and removing the fins from the top. I pinned the bait upside down to the bottom of a tupperware container using pins to hold the lure to the bottom when I poured the plaster of Paris over it. I did a few lures in the batch but the goby was the only one that turned out OK.


The mold turned out pretty well, I screwed up the edges when digging the original lure out. There might be a way to repair the other molds, but I didn't want to waste the time so I just hack sawed the mold I wanted. Using marine resin I coated the plaster so the plastic wouldn't stick. I got a little heavy handed with it and lost part of the pectoral fins, but it is still good enough for me.  

I poured root beer with red flecks, metallic blue with red flecks and yellow with blue flecks. The gobies look just like baby ling cods to me, and if lings are like other predatory fish I know they will not hesitate to eat one of their own.
Image borrowed from http://www.flickr.com/photos/kwiaht/
 Plus it looks pretty good in the water, I can't wait to try these guys out in the ocean. If you are wondering about the legality of coping lures it is pretty simple. It is legal to copy a lure for your own use, but it is illegal to claim it is an original or to sell. Coping lures for your own use is a great way to experiments with different rigging options, colors and bounciness. The point is to have fun making something and to catch fish.


What do you think?

Dan

8 comments:

  1. When you get to the ocean and find they work, you'll be one step ahead of everyone else. They look good from here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Mark I guess we will see if it gets me a head the next time I get out. After all the fish's opinion is the only one that matters here. :D

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Alex. I hope the fish think so.

      Delete
  3. Cool! I'm going to have to try that, there's a lot of soft plastics I'd like to have in colors they don't come in. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have a little extra cash go the RTV route, it is a little more user friendly. P.P. Molds can be tricky.

      Delete
  4. Cool! I hope they work out well for you.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think. All spam will be deleted. Google account users don't need Capcha verifications anymore so tell me what you think.
If you are interested in writing a guest post, or want me to write a guest post on your blog or website contact me at impracticalfishermen@gmail.com