Monday, October 28, 2013

Miss'n the Kings River

My First California Bass

          The South branch of the Kings river  is one of several central California rivers starting the the Sierra Nevada mountains. The river is fed water from Pine Flat reservoir. This body of water was very good to me my first year in California. I fished it two to three times a week, and have caught a lot of bass in it. The section I fish mostly is near the Navy Air Station Lemoore. One of the first fish I caught upon moving to California was a largemouth area on of the pillars of the route 198 bridge. This year my relationship with the river has been a little different. The fish seem to have gotten a little tighter lipped and the water has dropped over the course of the year. 

        I have had quite a few people ask me why I haven't posted about the river or fished in it lately. I think the best way to tell you why would be to show you. Here is the south branch of the mighty Kings river as it was on Friday morning. 



 There has been no flow for some time, and when it started it turned out to be water flowing out from the weir below. 


Now only puddles remain. The lack of snowfall in the mountains and rain in the lowlands has taken out my fishing hole. All I can do is hope and pray next year is wetter. Hopefully we can get some rain to help out these last puddles. 

Thanks for reading,

Dan

6 comments:

  1. Oh man. My in-laws are in Visalia, so on very rare occations I can bring my fly rod down with me. I've only fished the Kings up closer to the reservoir (nice trout!). I had a feeling that the river eventual ran dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to my neighbor it hasn't gone dry in thirty years. Problem is with the dam ad weirs it is more of a canal than a river.

      Delete
  2. Sad to see, Daniel, certainly is! Wish I could send you a little rain, but after the Colorado flood, hoping we don't get much more either. Hope the weather gods fix you up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has soem water now, I just hope it got here before everything died.

      Delete
  3. First impression---interesting to look at California from here in New Jersey, since that's not an image I would see in most media. Sorry for your river. I remember my Little Shabakunk dried up during a summer drought when I was a boy---the fish were surviving in the still water & suckers ran up from Assunpink Creek the next spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The central valley is to California as upstate New York is to New York. If you have ever eaten Del Monte raisens or Land O Lakes butter you ate something from here. No beaches or surfers here, but a lot of tractors and cows. I hope the fish had enough places to go to survive. Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete

Tell me what you think. All spam will be deleted. Google account users don't need Capcha verifications anymore so tell me what you think.
If you are interested in writing a guest post, or want me to write a guest post on your blog or website contact me at impracticalfishermen@gmail.com