Sunday, December 8, 2013

Make Something

                Whenever someone asks where I bought something I like being able to tell them I made it. Lately I have been more interested in working with wood. Making furniture and things for around the house has a lot of appeal to me. To make this whale I started with a template I drew using some sketch paper. I had a piece of pine that used to be a shelve in my closet that has been sitting on the side of my hose for about eight months now. It was barely painted so I figured doing a rustic white whale would be a good way to go with it. I used spray adhesive to stick it to the wood.
I used a fine toothed jig saw and just followed the outline. I had some trouble with the tail so I had to do a little free handing. Then it was time to remove the paper using mineral spirits and sanding the edges and corners with a random orbital sander.
I gouged the wood with a flat head screwdriver and colored it in  to form the eye, eyebrow, and flipper. I finished it with spray varnish to lock it all in. I stapled some braided fishing line doubled over its self and twisted to hang it from. The didn't turn out exactly how I wanted but that is OK. I plan on giving a few as gifts so these are good practice.
It is really fun and pretty simple making these fish. I even did a flounder.

I hope this inspires some of you to hit the shop and make some gifts for this holiday season.

Thanks for reading,

Dan

5 comments:

  1. Dude! This post was way better than the one I was gonna do!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's unbelievable how artistic you are.
    Very inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read your post. good review. Nice products for baby. It looks great,
    lightweight and compact.
    sander-reviews

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think. All spam will be deleted. Google account users don't need Capcha verifications anymore so tell me what you think.
If you are interested in writing a guest post, or want me to write a guest post on your blog or website contact me at impracticalfishermen@gmail.com