Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Slow Day on the Delta Near Stockton, California

              My father came all the way from Illinois where the snow was falling and the river behind the house was frozen. Needless to say he was eager to do some fishing. I called my buddy Ed of bigedfishing.com to see if he was up for taking us out to the Delta. A few days before we planned to head up we got word the bite was dead. All of the reports were bleak, but we were determined to make the most of it.  Some battery issues kept us off the water until around eleven. The current was fast and the bite was slow. The fish seemed to stick back in the tules (the reeds that make up most of the structure in the Delta) away from the pull of the tide. The bite was so light it was hard to tell you had one until it was half way to the boat.
I was glad I was able to get my dad out, I just wish the bite had been a little hotter. One thing that got me really excited is I got one on a new three inch dropshot bait I started pouring.
The weather was beautiful. the skies were clear and it was a fairly quiet day until this giant barge came steaming past us. I was so glad I was not in a kayak because it took most of what the trolling motor had to keep us from getting sucked into the ship.
Judging from the tules the water dropped almost a foot in the matter of a few minutes and came rushing back in. At least now I know if I see a ship that big near me while I am in my kayak I am going to make for land and beach myself because it doesn't look worth fighting. 
Ed had some luck with a purple Pro Worm dropshot bait and a small green swimbait. My last fish of the day came on a sexy shad colored crank bait near some boat docks as we were putting in. We ran into some striper fishermen who only caught one keeper and two shorts in the same time we were out. It was a tough day on the Delta for sure. 
For me the highlights were being able to fish with my dad and catching a fish on a lure I poured. It just does not get old. It was worth the six hours of driving to get there and back as well as the flack from my wife about being out all day.

Dad thanks for making this possible, and Ed  thanks for taking us out.

Dan

13 comments:

  1. Hey man it may have been a tough day but those are some quality bass!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were healthy bass for sure.. Just wish there were a little more. :D

      Delete
  2. I can see you guys found the active lures--the spawn is just around the corner for the big sow bass, hope you guys land one ---thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did find a few things that worked. I wish I could make it up there to fish some beds, that would be a blast.

      Delete
  3. That may have been slow for the Delta, but compared to New Melones, it was a streak of lightning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad to hear that. The good thing about fishing is the conditions always change so it will come back around. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. Catching bass during winter is always a slower process. I usually quit fishing for them until spring. Is the crank in that last picture a cotton cordell??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure because I found it about five months ago in the Kings, and then I lost it last week two days after catching fish wiht it in the Delta. If you figure it out tell me because I just spent 20 minutes looking at the Tackle Warehouse website trying to figure it out and I wouldn't mind having a few of them around.

      Delete
  5. I'm about 95 percent sure that it is a Cotton cordell Deep diving pearl shad crank bait. Check out the picture below and let me know or just search the name on google images. I caught my first bass and my first five pounder on this sucker! Cheap but Very effective! Always keep one in my box. You can get them at Walmart.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cotton-Cordell-Deep-Diving-Crankbait-Pearl-Shad-color-/331069042501?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d1540af45

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes sense with the area I live in.

      Delete
  6. Quality time, and quality bass. Looks like a good outing to me. That ship looks HUMONGOUS!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bit frightening to have that beast in such shallow water so close to us.

      Delete
    2. I could only imagine! Looks like a floating city, like the one the "smokers" used in Waterworld. hahaha

      Delete

Tell me what you think. All spam will be deleted. Google account users don't need Capcha verifications anymore so tell me what you think.
If you are interested in writing a guest post, or want me to write a guest post on your blog or website contact me at impracticalfishermen@gmail.com