Sunday, February 23, 2014

Winter San Joaquin River Fishing

        My buddy Caleb messaged me on Facebook before I was about to head home on Friday. He wanted to go fishing and wanted company. Between school, a new baby, and work fishing has really taken a back seat. We agreed on a time and place, a mid day trip to the river in north Fresno, California. The worst part about this launch is the half mile hill you have to take the kayaks down to get to the river, and as you can guess the downhill portion is not the bad part of the trip. The water was cool and clear. We could see a few rainbow trout that seemed to be uninterested in my spinner baits and carp that spook easy leaving muddy puffs in their place.  

I got to play with my new camera mount a bit but did not have much luck with the fish. I lost two small bass in the few hours I was on the water.
A guy on a bike told us he saw two guys take four spotted bass over four pounds that morning but I don't know how much I believe his story. No one else we ran into were catching anything, but it was a beautiful day.
Caleb managed one decent fish on a black jig. It was tagged but we didn't have a tape measure to get any data about it. I saw a few more smaller bass in the shallows with tags in them as well. I'll have to look more into that.

Thanks for getting me out of the house Caleb.

And thank you for reading,

Dan

13 comments:

  1. Time out fishing this time of year is better than no fishing at all. That is an obvious statement. Won't be long until you will have to add a buddy seat to your kayak for that son of yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to get the little guy out there.

      Delete
  2. Pretty cool, I have never caught a tagged fish before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has that kind of luck. I am glad one of us did. :D

      Delete
  3. Its funny because out here its 70 degrees but the fish are still sluggish. The bite will pick up soon, brother!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is that cold water flowing down from lake Millerton. It really drops the temperature.

      Delete
  4. Might have to get you into fly fishing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to get into with all of my flyfishing brothers and sisters living so far away.

      Delete
    2. You have lots of blogging friends who make good brothers and sisters and can help with lots of orientation on fly fishing. Just saying......................... I would be willing to help out.

      Delete
  5. You are right. The problem is I have read books, forums, and watched videos, but I get out there and the line either goes limp and falls short or I snap the fly off the line. I need one on one guidance and I have not had the time or opportunity to get that yet. I am only 30 and have time to learn. Some day I will get the chance, but I do not know when.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your "winter" fishing sure looks a lot different than my winter fishing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I dressed far too warm for the weather. I was sweating my butt off.

      Delete

Tell me what you think. All spam will be deleted. Google account users don't need Capcha verifications anymore so tell me what you think.
If you are interested in writing a guest post, or want me to write a guest post on your blog or website contact me at impracticalfishermen@gmail.com