Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Shooting Skeet at the San Joaquin Rod and Gun Club

DSC_0796_E
My Christmas present
          It is no secret that water is becoming more and more scarce in California. Seeing that I would not be able to fish the river, the closest body of water from our house, my amazing wife bought me a Bernelli Nova for Christmas as an attempt to keep me outdoors. I had been researching shotguns for sometime but was unwilling to pull the trigger on one because it was a larger purchase and I have never hunted before so I did not want to buy the wrong gun. My friends who grew up hunting had a real advantage over me. Hunting is expensive, has many rules and seasons, and involves firearms making it daunting to a beginner, but I am determined to learn and get in on the hunt.

         Hank Shaw of Honest Food.net was a huge inspiration. I chose the Bernelli because it has a great reputation of reliability, was priced right, and seemed to suit all my needs. The 28" barrel allows for long shots and allows for 2 3/4 to 3 1/2 inch shells. I took it down to the San Joaquin Rod and Gun Club for a few rounds of skeet already. 
  

I have been getting more comfortable with it on the range. It is so much fun taking down doubles with a pump shotgun. 

DSC_0783_E2

Skeet is a great way to learn how to handle a shot gun for beginner shooters.

DSC_0759_E
Even my buddy, a Marine combat instructor who teaches Marines how to handle a rifle every day, thought of skeet as a fun challenging activity. We played four rounds, sending 100 shots down range and left smiling. One of the guys we shot with shoots for the Navy team. His advice really improved my shot.

I can't wait for dove season this year. I feel a little more confident with the shotgun each round and hope it translates to the field and the dinner plate.

Thanks for reading,

Dan

The San Joaquin Rod and Gun Club is a volunteer run skeet range located at NAS Lemoore.
The are open Thursdays after 5PM (depending on if there is sunlight) and Saturdays at 9AM.

$5 a round, more if you rent a gun and need shells

Check them out on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/pages/San-Joaquin-Valley-Rod-and-Gun-Club/143175959117081?fref=ts

 

7 comments:

  1. I went Skeet shooting once. I got ready, yelled "pull" and barely saw the clay pigeon as it sailed by so fast I didn't even get a shot. That is a fine looking shotgun. Your wife, you should keep her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That can happen if you aren't paying attention. After a few turns you get a better feel. What I like about it is it is like a game of around the world crossed with shooting. :D

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad your finding something to do while you wait for your river to fill back up

    it does look like fun

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have only held and shot a gun once. Skeet shooting interests me. It looks fun, and I love a good challenge. Maybe sometime this year I'll give it a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun. Skeet is a god way to get more comfortable with a firearm for sure. You should also check out sporting clays. They set up stations where you will have pigeons flying one way and rabbits bouncing the other way. Like disc golf but with a gun.

      Delete
  5. Yup. Hopefully it will mean a lot of dove to eat in the Fall too.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think. All spam will be deleted. Google account users don't need Capcha verifications anymore so tell me what you think.
If you are interested in writing a guest post, or want me to write a guest post on your blog or website contact me at impracticalfishermen@gmail.com