Monday, May 19, 2014

Fly Fishing Below Pine Flat

DSC_0011_E        Fly fishing has been daunting for me. I just couldn't seem to get the hang of it. I also had problems meeting up with other fly fishermen. I have read a ton about fly fishing in books, magazines, and most of all the blogs in my blog roll, but it still didn't feel right. I caught my first fish on the fly in Illinois right after I got the pole and only took it out once since. It has been over two years since I tried to fish at Putah creek and got the skunk. Then Mark Kautz (Northern California Trout) emailed me and told me to bring my fly rod.

P5170129_E
Can you spot him? 
Mark gave me some coaching and really helped me stop over thinking what I was doing. In the end it is just a hook with some fibers, tied to a long string that you manipulate with a stick. We drove down to the spot and it looked good. There was no one there, but by the time we got our gear out two trucks pulled up. Seems like we happened on someone's secret spot.

P1020687_E

Mark about stepped on a poor trout in no more than six inches of water. There were a few rainbows cruising the boulders and at least one good sized brook trout. Word from one of the guys who came in after us was they just stocked. We tried dry flies, but the trout did not seem interested. After a while I realized if I was missing the spot to the left or the right I needed to turn my body.

P5170130_E

At least the scenery was good. The wind started to pick up so we ditched the fly gear and went to spinning reels. That didn't work so we Power baited up and hit the dam. People seemed to be packing up as we got there. It wasn't long before we were alone. Around eleven we called it a day.


P5170132_E

We may not have caught anything but I felt more confident in my skills and am thinking about wetting a fly line way more than I was before. Mark is a great guy, patient, and full of stories. He even waited for me while I took artsy shots of wild flowers, a true gentlemen.

P1020688_E

We made it back to the campsite and talked while we put the gear away, said our good byes and parted ways. It was getting hot and I wanted to go home, but there was something nagging me. A spot I found a while ago. A steep bank leading from the road to the river where there always seemed to be rising trout I could never seem to catch. I went down in my tennis shoes with nothing but my 4wt and a green woolly bugger.

P5170140_E

I found at least a sixth of a motor cycle down there. I am not sure if it was ditched on to get rid of stolen parts they did not need or just to get rid of it, but it was way too heavy for one guy to lug back up that steep, sorry excuse of a trail.

P5170145_E

The spot was even more beautiful than the last time I had been to it. The water was low and the fish were just swimming about the shallows and appeared to be feeding between the rocks. I tried to go for at least four of them but my little woolly bugger just wouldn't get down there. I tried to get a picture of the fish form out of the water, but between their green back camouflage and the glare of the water it was not happening. I scrambled back up the hill and went home to start on the "Honey-do" list.

Thanks for reading,

Dan.

Check out Mark's blog at http://www.northerncaliforniatrout.com/

15 comments:

  1. I never even thought about using a Mickey Finn in that hole where those guys were fishing. Mickey Finn is one of the great Brookie flies. Have a good time and enjoyed meeting you. Next time up here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a flashy pattern. It would have been worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have fished in quite few spots for stockers when I travel for work. If they haven't switched over to feeding naturals, flashy streamers get them almost every time. They are so amazingly aggressive.

    Still, that spot looks gorgeous. I have fished some spots in the Sierra Nevadas and absolutely love that area. Lucky lucky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to hit the spot again for sure. It would be nice to get out on a week day with all of the weekend warriors are at work though.

      Delete
  4. Daniel, thanks for sharing your trip out fly fishing with us readers. Mark is a great person to learn from and pick up pointers while on the water. Fortunately, for you I hope, fly fishing becomes a challenge that you accept and get after. You have some beautiful waters there to fish with a long rod. Happy Hook Ups!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel. I did learn a bit from him. More than I bet he is comfortable with admitting to. I am planning my next fly trip, but I need to get into the ocean again first because that is an itch that needs to be scratched.

      Delete
  5. Glad you were able to meet up with Mark and toss a line! You're right, He's not too bad of a guy haha. Dude, i have come to fall in love with fly fishing! Catching trout on the fly has been great and using the fly rod on warmwater species has been fantastic as well. I hope you end up exploring it more and posting on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad I didn't have more time when I was up in Sacramento. I plan on doing more flyfishing, but I am not giving up on the baitcaster. i see flyfishing as a way to expand my horizon.

      Delete
  6. Funny how the grass is always greener. Guys on the bank casting for the middle, guys in a boat casting for the bank. I started my fly fishing adventures in the salt since quality trout water was too far for quickie trips. One thing to remember about fly fishing for trout, most of what they eat is underwater. I love to catch fish on dries but if there is no hatch, no fish rising, and no takes on my dry flies I'm tying a nymph or a streamer on the tippet. If I don't see any risers or a hatch I might even start out with a dry/dropper set up. There is definitely a learning curve with fly fishing. I have found that the adventure is as much in the time on the water figuring it out as it is catching the fish.
    If your on the water whether it is river, lake, or ocean, there is so much more than just seeing a fish on your line. H.D. Thoreau wrote in his journal " I am encouraged when I see a dozen villagers drawn to Walden Pond to spend a day in fishing through the ice, and suspect that I have more fellows than I knew, but I am disappointed and surprised to find that they lay so much stress on the fish which they catch or fail to catch, and on nothing else, as if there were nothing else to be caught." The catching will come easier with time. The sights, sounds, and adventure is there every time.
    Enjoy the journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some see it that way. I woud cast a foot or two parellel to the bank and get really weird looks form fishermen on the pond. Then I would get a really startled look from them as my pole bends in half. Thanks for the fly advice, becasue I have a lot to learn.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful pictures! Good to see/read that you got your fly rod out. It's too bad that you didn't hook up with any fish, but with that scenery I could forget about hooking fish real easy. Stick with it, and once you do hook into some fish, I'm sure you're going to enjoy every minute of it. I keep my fly rods and other rods in my truck in the warm weather months, and I always reach to grab the fly rod first. Fly fishing for bass using top water poppers is what got me hooked. You should give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will come with time. I can see what is so addicting about it.

      Delete
  8. hehe, you look like a natural

    keep on chucking them feathers ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The actual introduction of "Braided Line"shed fresh gentle to bass sounds fishing tackle selections. Braided range can be a very much small size and offers some sort of better bursting power and has a great no-stretch quality for more information click here spinning reel.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think. All spam will be deleted. Google account users don't need Capcha verifications anymore so tell me what you think.
If you are interested in writing a guest post, or want me to write a guest post on your blog or website contact me at impracticalfishermen@gmail.com