Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Leffingwell Fishing and my New Personal Best Rockfish

           I finally got the chance to head to the coast on Monday. The central coast rockfish opener was May 1st but there were still plenty of good fish to be had. My buddy Caleb got to my house at four AM and I wasn't ready. I couldn't find my camera anywhere, but after ten or fifteen minutes of searching I gave up. We hit the road and got to the launch at 0630, and by 0700 we were on the water. Just as we got into the water My buddy Will and his father showed up. I fished my hand tied dropper rig with a 4-oz holographic jigging iron as the weight and a watermelon green redflake colored Polli-minner with a 6/0 octopus hook. I fished a few bumps I saw on the fishfinder with no luck. We got into the kelp and Caleb hooked into the first fish, a gopher rockfish. A cast later I hooked into the largest rockfish I have caught to date.  
PB Rockfish
My personal best rockfish
It measured twenty inches and weighed in at almost six pounds. The best part was it hit on the polli-minner. Next fish was a twenty-three inch ling and a seventeen inch cabazon came after that. I ended up getting five ling cod (I kept one), five cabazon (I kept two), and three rockfish. The swell was about four feet at six or seven seconds, which felt almost like an amusement park ride at times, but the wind was calm enough to bare it.  

007_E
The haul
It was great to get out and I had a great time. Will caught a few fish, Caleb caught a few fish, and Will's dad went home with a ling and a cabazon. So all around we had a great day. We were off the water by eleven. I caught a few of my fish while wearing Caleb's GoPro so hopefully I will cut the footage and get that up soon.

unnamed_E
Will's dad with his catch
I have caught more fish but the quality of fish I caught Monday was higher than I have caught in a while. I really needed a day like that on the water. Plus I got to bring home a lot of tasty fish to my family. 

Thanks for reading, 

8 comments:

  1. Bad ass!! Seriously jealous of all the salt that surrounds you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't really surround me. I am jealous of those coho you have been catching.

      Delete
  2. I can never get over how awesome those fish look. I, too, am jealous about the waters you get to fish out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm jealous you can fish Lake Michigan before work.

      Delete
  3. Nice thing about California. One day you're fishing mountain streams, the next you're on the ocean. I have to admit, you did a lot better on the ocean that we did on the river.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only I lived further north in the valley. The mountains and ocean to help to make up for the valley living conditions at times.

      Delete
  4. That is an awesome catch.. that is a massive rockfish. So fat! Dwarfs the others. What kind was it I can't tell in the pic? A brown or kelp?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure if it was a brown or a grass rock fish. Grass rockfish have a brown phase to them and a lot of people look at them and think they are browns. Kelp rockfish have a lot more markings this guys didn't have. It is sure not a vermillion. :D

      Delete

Tell me what you think. All spam will be deleted. Google account users don't need Capcha verifications anymore so tell me what you think.
If you are interested in writing a guest post, or want me to write a guest post on your blog or website contact me at impracticalfishermen@gmail.com