Thursday, May 8, 2014

The Kings River is Getting Low

The Kings river is sitting lower and lower. This section is where bass boats launch into the river, but the spot they usually go in is about thirty feet from the water. Only the main channel remains.

P4150092_E

The water under the bridge is only bout a foot deep. A few carp are swimming through the brush that is growing on what used to be the river bed.

P4150091_E

          It extends about 150 yards past the bridge. It is barely deep enough to get a kayak through.
I am losing hope that the bass will make it through. This part of the river was around six feet deep when I first arrived in California. Now it is almost bone dry. There was a time I'd be on this river three days a week and now it is hardly worth checking if there is any water left. At least it the central coast rockfish season has opened. Next weekend with good weather I hope to make it out.

Thanks for reading

Dan

11 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a real shame. When was the last time you had some steady rain out there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two winters ago. Watch the news, because California is going to be on fiere a lot this year.

      Delete
    2. I knew there was a dry season, and there were wild fires, but I didn't realize it was that bad. Wow! Hopefully, the wild fires that do happen, because, they will, aren't as bad as you suspect.

      Delete
  2. I hope they leave enough water running out of the dam for us to fish. On the other hand, I always like the advantage to be in my favor. The DFW is showing a plant below the dam next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you can teach me a thing or two. I have yet to catch a rainbow or brown trout in California. :(

      Delete
  3. Well, Daniel, nothing as effective as seeing the pictures of the cold, hard facts of life. Wow! My thoughts are with you folks who live in California. Where is the water going to come from? The fire season is definitely scary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopefully we get some mercy from the heavens soon. A lot of the produce you eat comes from my valley as well. ood prices are going to start going up fast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WTF, that is a gruesome scene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it just keep s getting worse and worse.

      Delete
  6. Oh man, That is truly sad! Sorry your fishing hole is drying up. that has happened to at least one of my fishing holes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is depressing. I am starting to see a lot more egrets out in the fields as well. I hope they are just there to nest and not because they are not makign it in the river.

      Delete

Tell me what you think. All spam will be deleted. Google account users don't need Capcha verifications anymore so tell me what you think.
If you are interested in writing a guest post, or want me to write a guest post on your blog or website contact me at impracticalfishermen@gmail.com