Thursday, June 5, 2014

This is Getting Depressing...Fish Kill on the Kings River

           The drought has really been cramping my style. When I first got out to California the Kings river in Lemoore was a honey hole. Tons of bass, the water was enough to cool your feet off in, and by just going around the bend I felt like I was a million miles away. The water stopped flowing and the river started dropping sometime last year and the fishing started sucking. They have let water down from time to time, but it is mostly a chain of puddles around Lemoore, California. The only thing I could see swimming around, and the water was no deeper than a foot anywhere, was carp so I figured I'd take out the 6wt and try my hand at fly fishing freshwater bonefish (as they are called).

          On the drive home today I stopped by my spot and was horrified...

P6050217_E
Nothing but stale water and dead fish
P6050222_E
Last spring John boats couldn't get under that bridge
There were a few fish circling but for the most part it does not look, or smell, good. There were tons of flies and the swallows were swarming them. Sadly it was not worth cleaning the gear to catch an over sized goldfish in this nasty water. I shot some footage to show just how bad it is. 



          So I guess that means no carp on the fly for me. Rumor is they are letting water down July twentieth, but I don't know what good that is going to do. I guess I will just have to figure out something new.

P6050221_E
One fish, two fish, dead fish, ew fish.
Thanks for reading,

Dan

19 comments:

  1. That is a shame that such a mighty river could become that, but unfortunately we have no control over the drought. I don't think that Obama or Jerry Brown throwing money at the drought will make any difference here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What are they going to do? Open up Pineflat and kill all the fish up there? This drought is a disaster alright.

      Delete
  2. From someone from out of state, I really feel for all of you guys that are blog buddies in California. This is going to be a tough one. Hope somewhere, somehow, you find some fishing relief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least there is pleanty of water in the ocean.

      Delete
  3. Wow, this is very sad. I have already seen a couple of fishing holes dry up. Not good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sucks, you guys need El Nino bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope we do get it good this year. Plus it make the tuna come in real close to shore.

      Delete
  5. I have seen what the drought is doing firsthand, but your video really puts it in perspective. Scary stuff. Thanks for sharing Daniel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each time I think it can't get much worse it gets a little nastier. I guess I am just a wishful thinker. Thanks for reading and commenting Albert.

      Delete
  6. now thats depressing brother..thanks for sharing. I was thinking of heading up for Goldens but I have to admit im sort of scared of what I'm going to find.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The upper Kings seems to have some water running, but it is just a little low. The Kern is the same way from what I hear. I hope you catch a couple. They are on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that is a depressing sight. I hope things begin to look up for you guys out there!...at least there's the ocean. That really has to hurt the local wildlife, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friends who hunt are a little worried about what this will do to the deer.

      Delete
    2. I can only image that it looks just as bad for those deer.

      Delete
  9. Daniel
    What a shame that this fishery has to go through such an amazing transformation. Hopefully it will come back. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. WAUKENA HAS GOD FISHING STILL AND CORCORAN Canals too.I FISHED THAT EXACT SPOT YOU FILMED LAST YEAR AND IT WAS PLUMP WITH WILDLIFE EVEN SAW A BEAVER ..CAIGHT A COUPLE BASS TOO ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MY NAME IS MICHAEL ATONDO BY THE WAY ...ALSO BISHOP DEVILLE ...IM THE LOCAL RAPPER /ANGLER

      Delete
  11. Fisherman business is growing day by day.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think. All spam will be deleted. Google account users don't need Capcha verifications anymore so tell me what you think.
If you are interested in writing a guest post, or want me to write a guest post on your blog or website contact me at impracticalfishermen@gmail.com