Saturday, July 19, 2014

My Great-Grandfather's Flies: Part II

          One of the few things I have of my great-grandfather's is his metal tackle box. There was the assortment of spoons you'd expect in a mid-western tackle box of the time, but my great-grandfather also fly fished. There were a few other strange flies, but I am not sure if they are flies or ice fishing lures.  What do you think?

RIMG0050_E

This could be a weighted fly or an ice fishing jig/spoon.

RIMG0049_E

Still shiny after all these years.

RIMG0052_E

Looks like a good Cheetos imitation to me.

RIMG0051_E

Whether they are flies or ice fishing lures I bet they were for pan fish. Shell-crackers love Cheetos.

Thanks for reading,

Dan

Read Part I Here: http://www.theimpracticalfishermen.com/2014/07/my-great-grandfathers-flies-part-1.html

5 comments:

  1. Daniel
    I would say some of those lures were used to fish for pike. I would have to frame those in a shadowbox to display. I know you treasure all of them. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure the spoons were for pike, musky and, bass. But those two had to be for pan fish.

      Delete
  2. Could be lures, could be used in fly fishing deeper water, should we call them "Flyures".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I like that, Mel..."Flyures"

    I haven't a clue what their intended use is for. I bet they caught some fish, though! If I had to only choose one...I would say ice jigs.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think. All spam will be deleted. Google account users don't need Capcha verifications anymore so tell me what you think.
If you are interested in writing a guest post, or want me to write a guest post on your blog or website contact me at impracticalfishermen@gmail.com