Thursday, September 18, 2014

Navy Shadow Box.

           I have been kicking around the idea of building a shadow box to display some of the uniform items, awards, and other keepsakes I have collected over my eight years in the service using a Navy dress blue uniform as the background. I bought some yellow pine for the project on Thursday but was hesitant about what I wanted to do. Saturday I got a bug in me around 9 PM and by 9:30 the box was in clamps so the glue could cure.Saturday night and made the door, attached it, and stained and finished it sunday night. I didn't use a forstner drill bit and had a big chunk of wood knocked out by one of the dowels so I sanded the round-over a bit over all the corners. The walnut stain gave it a dirty old wood look I like for some strange reason and after two coats of spray shellac the wood was sealed. All I need is to get the glass cut for it and a hook to secure the door.  Not bad for something I whipped up in a few hours. Let me know what you think. 


Thanks for reading, 

Dan

8 comments:

  1. Hey Dan. Nice tribute to your service for this country of ours. Good job on the frame too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. People like you in this country make the sacrifices worth it.

      Delete
  2. Very nice, Daniel. I applaud you, not only for the creativity and workmanship here, but also, for your service to our country. From one Vet to another, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel, for your kind words and your service. I actually just started a Facebook group for Vets who are outdoorsmen on Facebook. Consider yourself added. Are you still seeing Rainbow Chaser in my blog roll? I thought I got rid of it.

      Delete
  3. Thanks, Daniel, I looked through the Facebook Group and am happy to be a part of what you are doing over there.

    As far as the Blogroll goes, please change the one you have for Pond Stalker. Not the name of the blog, but, just the link that it goes too. I paid for my own place on the web and now the link should be:
    http://pondstalkerblog.com

    If you would correct the link, I would be all set. Thanks, again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got it. I was wondering why I wasn't seeing anything from you.

      Delete
  4. Daniel, I really like your shadow box for your service medals, etc. I also like the use of the dress blues. I need to find someone to make me one. Thanks for your service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your service as well. Get your stuff together and get one made. It is a personel thing. Hopefully my grandchildren will see mine and it will be a part of my family.

      Delete

Tell me what you think. All spam will be deleted. Google account users don't need Capcha verifications anymore so tell me what you think.
If you are interested in writing a guest post, or want me to write a guest post on your blog or website contact me at impracticalfishermen@gmail.com