Thursday, July 23, 2015

My First Striper

(Back to catching up on fishing reports and such. This is from Memorial Day weekend.)

           I don't consider myself a good fishermen. I have yet to catch a rainbow trout in the state of California despite the fact that there doesn't seem to be a 10 year old in the state without a photo of them holding a full stringer and I have not caught a striped bass. So when my buddy Derick invited me out to fish the duct I was not aiming for a 40 incher. I just wanted a bite.

DSC_0147_edited

I must have made a hundred casts before getting a bump. When it happened I didn't even know what do do. It took another hour or so. Derick and his friend already had half a dozen between them before I caught mine.

DSC_0148_edited

I finally got a bite, but I couldn't set the hook. I finally rigged the fluke sideways and on the next cast hooked into one.

DSC_0151_edited

Not the biggest fish, or even average sized, but it was a striper. I beat the skunk and caught my first striped bass.

DSC_0156_edited

We fished until it got dark and my friends caught a few more small ones. I was just happy to be fishing and to not be skunked.

Tight lines,

Dan

5 comments:

  1. If you come up here, I think I can almost guarantee you a Rainbow Trout. May not be on the fly, but Rainbow none the less.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've caught them in Washington state and Illinois, but just can't get them in California.

      Delete
  2. What the heck are those stripers running up a canal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those Striper come from the San Luis Reservoir. The LA Aqueduct runs from there through the central valley to bring water to LA. There are striper, largemouth bass, sculphins, bluegill, mosquito fish, and catfish that live all along it.

      Delete
  3. Congrats, Dan. Awesome pictures! Never thought or heard of anyone rigging a fluke sideways. Have you done this in the past?

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think. All spam will be deleted. Google account users don't need Capcha verifications anymore so tell me what you think.
If you are interested in writing a guest post, or want me to write a guest post on your blog or website contact me at impracticalfishermen@gmail.com