Sunday, August 9, 2015

Aqueduct Baptism


            I met Rick on the Central Coast Kayak Fishing Forum over a year and a half ago. We just never got a chance to fish together though. The funny thing is he works on the same base I do practically the next building over. Things just didn't pan out until about the second week of June when I Facebooked him to see if he wanted to hit the aqueduct with me. Things were fairly uneventful. The area near the locks was loaded with people fishing for cats and stripers, but we didn't see any boils.

            After about half an hour of fan casting we decided to move. One of the strategies on the duct is to look for boils of fish attacking bait and casting into it. I like it because it is active fishing and you get to cover a lot of water. When we saw activity on the surface we started casting. Finally near a bridge I hooked into a small one. I didn't want to let it flop on the concrete so I stepped closer to grab him and my foot slipped on some algae. The water level dropped leaving the concrete bank lined with slick green goo.

           I slowly slid into the water. I couldn't believe how long it took. I was up to my knees, waist, and finally when I was chest deep in the water I became neutrally buoyant. I wasn't going any further, but I couldn't get up the bank either. Rick kept telling me to climb out but I was stuck. I eventually managed to grab his arm and he pulled me back on the bank. I was just glad I didn't lose the rod. It was the custom rod my wife had made for me. Losing that would have sucked. I reeled in a little and to my surprise the fish was still on. I may have been soaked, but I still got the fish.

DSC_0207_edited

               Right after that we got a visit from the game warden, and it was funny seeing his face when I pulled out my dripping wet wallet. I got wet and killed my cell phone, but I got a laugh and a story out of it. As far as I see it, I couldn't ask for more it could be worse.

Thanks for reading,

Dan

7 comments:

  1. I hate when that happens, BUT you did get the fish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time they ar egetting flopped on the concrete.

      Delete
  2. I kill a phone every year that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ended up getting a waterproof phone to keep that from happening. The bad thing is it is not sink proof.

      Delete
  3. Glad you are ok... and that you got a fish too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was frusterating not being able to get back up. I really do owe Rick.

      Delete
  4. I heard about BIA Insurance Agency, they help me to get compensation. If You want their service please go through the link.
    http://www.biainsuranceagency.com/apartment-building-questionnaire/

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think. All spam will be deleted. Google account users don't need Capcha verifications anymore so tell me what you think.
If you are interested in writing a guest post, or want me to write a guest post on your blog or website contact me at impracticalfishermen@gmail.com